87 GN won't start

wafastr

Car didn't pass Calif. smog check so I decided to finally replace the 125,000 mile original cam sprocket and chain and look into the many reasons for its failure at smog. All other internals are also original as is the turbo. (By the way, the original sprocket looks perfect). After replacing the parts (TDC on the #1 cyl. compression stroke, line up the dots on the gears, etc.) and getting everything back together, it won't start. I have replaced the 7 year old MAF sensor. 1,500 miles ago I put in spark plugs, fuel filter, new 42# injectors & valve springs. It has a KB ultimate 93 chip, adjustable fuel pressure reg, K&N filter, Walbro pump & hot wire, 3 inch downpipe and new high flow cat with Hooker duals. I purchased the cam sensor tool and set the cam sensor. It doesn't get driven much but was running well until I had to smog it, then it seemed to get rough running and lose power while surging a bit like it did when the last MAF went bad. 2 years ago, after getting the last smog check, the catalytic convertor material came apart inside and I took it off, cleaned it out and drove the car that way until I got a new cat this year. (HUGE difference in throttle response!) Does this foul up the O2 sensor? When I was finally ready to start it, I primed the oil pump, and after a few seconds of cranking it tried to run but didn't build oil pressure right away so I shut it down, re-primed the pump, and now I have cranking pressure of 15# but no start. Rocker arms and cam sensor are moving appropriately. I checked for spark with a screwdriver in a spark plug wire with good results, and I am reading about 10-15# cranking fuel psi at the rail. Is it possible that the fuel system has to be primed? I can release air pressure at the schrader valve, but no wet fuel. I double checked all the sensors that were unplugged, checked the fuses for the ECM and fuel pump ( I can hear it running). Could the ECM be bad? I thank you all in advance for your help. JIM aka WAFASTR

Jim,

You need to have fuel pressure to get the car to start. There is a fuel pump test wire in the area of the altenator which is grey. If you connect it to a 12v source the pump will run and prime the fuel system. I believe this will get the car started for you.

Neal

I checked for spark with a screwdriver in a spark plug wire with good results, and I am reading about 10-15# cranking fuel psi at the rail. Is it possible that the fuel system has to be primed?

You have 10-15 psi of fuel pressure while cranking? If so this is where your problem is!!! You should have 40 psi or so even while cranking, 10-15 isnt enough to start the car. Dig a bit deeper here, when you turn the key to the run position fuel pump should energize and read appro 40ish psi. If not then either the regulator is bad or the pump.