'87 GN with TT 93 chip...low performance

jnaarnold

johnarnoldphotography.net
I have had my GN for about 4 months now. It has just a tick over 60k on the odometer. I have added a few things too it...Scanmaster, powerplate, adjustable wastegate, 160 thermostat, always run 93 octane and correct sparkplugs and wires. I run roughly 17 psi boost. When I first started with the Scanmaster and the stock chip I saw very little, if any, knock retard...like .3. Now, with the new Turbo Tweak 93 chip, the car is really sluggish out of the gate and my fuel mileage appears to be down. I drive the car occasionally to work which is a forty mile round trip and it seems like I really went through the gas when I drove three days last week. I know I have not tracked the car, but honestly, I don't have any intention of going to the track. I have spent a lifetime around cars, especially in performance cars. I think I am being pretty fair when I say performance is down. This forum has been great...so any advice or criticism would be well taken.
I do have future plans of upgrading the exhaust to 3 in. and putting a 3 in downpipe on it. Over the winter I also plan on porting the intake and heads and upgrading my fuel system.
Thanks,
John

You might want to make sure you reset the ECM when installing the chip. Also make sure all scantool numbers look to be in spec. Are you sure your old chip was a stock chip? The stock chip ran about 14psi in 1st/2nd, then dropped to about 12psi in 3rd. There should be a noticeable difference at 17psi. Also might want to double check the injector part# to make sure we know what they are.
If you want to send the chip back, I'll be happy to check it out.
Regards,
Eric

You might want to make sure you reset the ECM when installing the chip. Also make sure all scantool numbers look to be in spec. Are you sure your old chip was a stock chip? The stock chip ran about 14psi in 1st/2nd, then dropped to about 12psi in 3rd. There should be a noticeable difference at 17psi. Also might want to double check the injector part# to make sure we know what they are.
If you want to send the chip back, I'll be happy to check it out.
Regards,
Eric

Eric, thanks for the reply. I reset the computer and went for a cruise. It definitely performs a lot better. When I installed the chip, I disconnected the battery, not the orang wire. This time I disconnected the orange wire only. Not sure of the difference. I worked specifically on GM TPI, SFI and PFI engines, specifically drivability and electrical and don't remember that being a difference maker. Anyhow, it sure is running a lot different/better. I only had .3 retard and that was at the 1/2 shift. Also curious about the fuel mileage...it smells very rich at idle. I might try taking a little fuel out in first.

I cannot wait to get my exhaust, downpipe and tires! And for cooler weather!!
Thanks again Eric!

Last edited: