87 GN....starter won't crank.

paulky_2000

I need some assistance. I went to start my 87 GN for the first time in two months....and the starter isn't doing a thing.....no sound from the solenoid......nothing. All the accessories are working.....headlights, radio, turn signals, back up lights, etc. I cleaned the contacts at the battery and retightened....I crawled under the car and wiggled the wires going to the starter.......I knocked on the starter housing with a wrench a bit. I even tried to start it from the neutral position...there's not even a click.

Could the extreme cold (-15F) that we had here in Kentucky a few weeks ago have damaged something....or is it the fact that I didn't start the car in over 60 days? I'm open to suggestions....because it's sitting in a garage with a gravel floor.....in a corner where it'll be extremely difficult to even push outside to have it towed to a garage:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Try this. Simply shift out of park into gear and back into park and try again.

it could be that batt has snuff just to run accessories but not to turn starter, i'd try charging it or jump starting car

it could be that batt has snuff just to run accessories but not to turn starter, i'd try charging it or jump starting car

First thing I thought about.....

Jumped it off my Scion with an Optima 1000 CCA batt.........

....nothing.

could be the starter itself, had one go out on me at work once not symptoms whatsoever did exactly as yours is doing.

Alarm system? Happened with mine a few weeks ago. Viper alarm had starter interrupt, once bypassed, no problem.

Good call FLbuick. Factory security I believe will do the same.

If it does have factory security system open the door, hit the lock switch then exit the car and shut the door. Insert key in door, unlock then try and start.

You know....there is a decal on the the side glass that indicates that the car is equipped with a security system.....but I never paid too much attention to it because the previous owner never mentioned it having one.

I am going to try this as soon as I get home from work tonight!

No joy. I suppose I'm going to have to drag it out of the garage and have it towed to the mechanic. :(

I'll keep the thread posted when I discover the culprit.

if you do need a starter do a search for sdr0059, just placed an order for 1 based on great feedback.. something about some guy creaming his khakis lol

if you do need a starter do a search for sdr0059, just placed an order for 1 based on great feedback.. something about some guy creaming his khakis lol

Oddly enough....I already have one, new in the box, that's been waiting for the perfect time to be installed!

There is a terminal on the starter with one wire, this terminal will have battery voltage with the key in crank position. The large terminal with lots of wires should always have battery voltage. If this is true, think starter problem.
In my experience a bad starter will at least try to crank, as in make a click.

Last edited: