'87 GN computer in '85 t-type

cooperSG

buying an '85 t-type that the owner says has a 1987 Grand National computer in it. What is the significance of this? Are the GN computers easier to tune? is it even possible to run a hot air car with this computer? does the guy not know what he's talking about? Just trying to shine a little light on the subject before i dive head first into this car. thanks.

the IC computers are much better and give better info. Yes its possible, its one of the first mods most HA cars get. Get yourself a scanmaster and learn the info. What are your goals with this car? I have an 85 GN and a few of the gentleman on this board have given me invaluable advice. I got a Walboro 340 fuel pump, hotwire kit, 80# injectors, a TT chip to run e85, a IC computer, a IC MAF, adj fuel pressure regulaor, new plugs, new wires and all new vac lines. I was told id be running at or around 20 psi of boost :) way better than stock. Also when you looking around this car look at the exhaust manifolds they are prone to cracking, which is not good if your looking to romp around.

I have responded to your other post . . . but first question;
What is your goal / budget? :eek:

Also . . . . what is your location?

swapping to an 86/87 ecm (actually out of a fwd Olds with a 3.8) and a TurboTweak chip was the best thing i've done to my car.. it runs much smoother and makes more power, and the newer ecm can be used to turn on an electric fan..

87 ecm conversion, power logger, wideband, TT WB chip to start. This is the best things you could spend your $$$ on IMOP

I have responded to your other post . . . but first question;
What is your goal / budget? :eek:

Also . . . . what is your location?

i just want an extremely reliable weekend cruiser that handles like its on rails and may eventually make a 12 second 1/4 mile. My budget waxes and wanes. Im not building a track car, or a show car (though i do take alot of pride in how my vehicles look), just a super nice cruiser.

im in north east Oklahoma, go pokes

You can build on a budget, believe me.;) Put down on paper what you want to do and then start researching how to go about doing it. I was planning on a super cheap build but I found out the frame was rotten so it's become a little more complicated.:( Bought the car for $500 as a basket case and haven't spent more than $2K so far on fixing it up, other than my time of course. There's tons of info on this board that can help you get the car to the point you want and asking questions is a great way to start.

Searching on this board and the internet is also a great way to find info, but be aware that there is mis-information out there so read and understand what is posted and then see if you can find some sort of varification on the info. I found 1 post about a turbo mod and a few hints but until I found someone that had done it I thought it wasn't possible. Once I found the 1 person that had done something like it a window opened and the project has gone to the point of several people doing it and improving they're power and times so far.:D