87 442, 403ci, built 200R4, $8k in receipts, $4500 obo, NJ

why are you being such a putz when you know your not going to buy it?
It's comments like this that make me want to take the computer and throw it in the trash. For one, I don't even see where it concerns you. Second, they are all very reasonable questions. Do you think you just look at the pictures and say "yea I'll take it? I am interested, I do have cash, and am wondering if it fits in for what I'm looking for, but right now, thanks to you my interest is subsiding.

not happy

I bought this car witch is clearly advertised as a 442 in the add. I get it I have the Vin run by several people and also take the car to a local resoration company to have it restored to original 442 specs and Guess what it's not a 442 its a Cutlass Superium WTF... Now what? partial refund in order this is not what i was told it was I could have bought a Cutlass locally for $2500 if thats what I wanted.

Thats not good. Sorry to hear that. Where on the VIN will it tell you if this is a real 442 or not.

I bought this car witch is clearly advertised as a 442 in the add. I get it I have the Vin run by several people and also take the car to a local resoration company to have it restored to original 442 specs and Guess what it's not a 442 its a Cutlass Superium WTF... Now what? partial refund in order this is not what i was told it was I could have bought a Cutlass locally for $2500 if thats what I wanted.

so you didn't check the vin before you bought it?

nope

No i didnt check the vin first I went by what i was being told . As far as the dash goes I didnt know what dash came in the 442 i was told there were a ton of options for a 442 .

You know what, this is ridiculous. You know for a fact I didn't intend or try to mislead, and we've been going back and forth through text a lot, so it's not like I'm trying to duck you. I advertised the car by what I thought, it may be stupid but I never knew the car was anything other than a 442, because a few people told me there was a 7 in the vin that made it one. I've never had one before that so I went with what I was told. The PO said he changed the interior because it was ratty, maybe I was lied to but I didn't care, the car was solid, all new, and a blast to drive so I bought it.

I was 100% up front with EVERYTHING the car needed, even took video to show you how the car ran and how the starter sounded, with it needing to be shimmed. Every question you asked me, I answered TRUTHFULLY. Had you asked me for the VIN, I'd have given it to you, I had nothing to hide on this car what-so-ever!! My problem is the following...

Why am I getting blamed and looked at like a liar because YOU didn't look into the car enough? I gave you the damn car for $3600, which is FAR below what I wanted. You have receipts in your hand for a new motor and trans worth more than what you paid for the whole car. Then you tell me the car's worth $2500 and you want a refund?! I don't think so. 442 or not you got MORE than your money's worth. You could get your money back for the car easily with the way it runs, or part it for more than you paid.

And secondly, why would you buy this car, that I said flat out had almost NO original parts on it, and then flip because it's not a 442. THE CAR HAD NOTHING 442 LEFT EITHER WAY!!! I explained it had been modified and cut up and wasn't a numbers matching collector's car.

Hell I even had other people ask for the vn and I gave it, never had one word said to me about NOT being a 442 otherwise I'd have changed the ad. I've sold numerous cars on here and a few other forums, never one single complaint, people always knew what they were getting and were happy because I was honest. I really do feel bad that this happened and I apologize, I actually literally lost sleep over it, my fiance even asked me what was wrong and I told her, she says "it's not a 442??". Maybe I should have ran the vin myself before buying, but as I said I didn't care, 442 means nothing. So again, I am legitimately sorry, but I'm not taking the blame here, as I said I never held anything back, told you everything as I knew it, and kept you updated the whole way during the transaction. I was a little hesitant about selling long distance, as I'd always rather people see & drive what they're buying, and after this I don't think I'll sell this way again.

As I said, you got your money's worth regardless, and the car's an amazing car, I don't understand what made you buy such a car if you were looking for an all matching 442. That package as I understand it makes little difference in price at this point avlue wise, especially if modified. You paid what I feel was LESS than what a car with that much work and receipts is worth. You say you can get the same car $2500 locally, I say show me. All the cars out here for that money are bone stock cutlass' that look haggard.

You know what, this is ridiculous. You know for a fact I didn't intend or try to mislead, and we've been going back and forth through text a lot, so it's not like I'm trying to duck you. I advertised the car by what I thought, it may be stupid but I never knew the car was anything other than a 442, because a few people told me there was a 7 in the vin that made it one. I've never had one before that so I went with what I was told. The PO said he changed the interior because it was ratty, maybe I was lied to but I didn't care, the car was solid, all new, and a blast to drive so I bought it.

I was 100% up front with EVERYTHING the car needed, even took video to show you how the car ran and how the starter sounded, with it needing to be shimmed. Every question you asked me, I answered TRUTHFULLY. Had you asked me for the VIN, I'd have given it to you, I had nothing to hide on this car what-so-ever!! My problem is the following...

Why am I getting blamed and looked at like a liar because YOU didn't look into the car enough? I gave you the damn car for $3600, which is FAR below what I wanted. You have receipts in your hand for a new motor and trans worth more than what you paid for the whole car. Then you tell me the car's worth $2500 and you want a refund?! I don't think so. 442 or not you got MORE than your money's worth. You could get your money back for the car easily with the way it runs, or part it for more than you paid.

And secondly, why would you buy this car, that I said flat out had almost NO original parts on it, and then flip because it's not a 442. THE CAR HAD NOTHING 442 LEFT EITHER WAY!!! I explained it had been modified and cut up and wasn't a numbers matching collector's car.

Hell I even had other people ask for the vn and I gave it, never had one word said to me about NOT being a 442 otherwise I'd have changed the ad. I've sold numerous cars on here and a few other forums, never one single complaint, people always knew what they were getting and were happy because I was honest. I really do feel bad that this happened and I apologize, I actually literally lost sleep over it, my fiance even asked me what was wrong and I told her, she says "it's not a 442??". Maybe I should have ran the vin myself before buying, but as I said I didn't care, 442 means nothing. So again, I am legitimately sorry, but I'm not taking the blame here, as I said I never held anything back, told you everything as I knew it, and kept you updated the whole way during the transaction. I was a little hesitant about selling long distance, as I'd always rather people see & drive what they're buying, and after this I don't think I'll sell this way again.

As I said, you got your money's worth regardless, and the car's an amazing car, I don't understand what made you buy such a car if you were looking for an all matching 442. That package as I understand it makes little difference in price at this point avlue wise, especially if modified. You paid what I feel was LESS than what a car with that much work and receipts is worth. You say you can get the same car $2500 locally, I say show me. All the cars out here for that money are bone stock cutlass' that look haggard.

Like I said I believe you didnt know it wasnt or isnt a 442 but the facct is that I did buy it thinking it was a 442. If the add would have said Cutlass Supreime I would'nt have honestly even looked at it. Yes it is a clean car but Like I texted you I can find regular Cutlass like this around for $2500 all day around here in the Chicago area. What I was looking for was like $500-1000 back I thought that more than fair. I dunno if I am being out of line here maybe but I honestly dont think so. I understand your point but you also have to understand mine.

Like I said I believe you didnt know it wasnt or isnt a 442 but the facct is that I did buy it thinking it was a 442. If the add would have said Cutlass Supreime I would'nt have honestly even looked at it. Yes it is a clean car but Like I texted you I can find regular Cutlass like this around for $2500 all day around here in the Chicago area. What I was looking for was like $500-1000 back I thought that more than fair. I dunno if I am being out of line here maybe but I honestly dont think so. I understand your point but you also have to understand mine.

I do get what you're saying, but the money's paid towards my wedding, it's gone already. And again, $3600 for the car was more than fair either way. The trans was $2900 with the receipt to back that up, motor was another $1300 iirc, then there's paint, suspension, exhaust, performance parts(intake/carb/etc), the rear's all redone. Being a 442 isn't going to make it worth any more because it was a glorified trim package, it's nonsense.

There's just NO PHYSICAL WAY you're going to find a car like that for less, so a refund of any kind is out of the question. I looked 2yrs for a V8 G-body before finding that car, they're bringing decent money even for JUNK now. Just prior to buying that car I looked at a DEAD STOCK 85 cutlass, 307, beat paint, cowl hood, stock wheels, some rust, $2500 and the guy wouldn't budge. More recently I looked at an 86 monte 2 weeks ago, new motor(w/o receipts), body was SHOT, interior was SHOT, ran good but that was it, had nice wheels but 2 were bent, and the guy wanted $2500. To tell me that car's only worth $2500 is an insult.

I have seen this car first hand and was there when Matt(Nighthawk355x) picked it up... Its a very solid car, 442 or not.

I have dealt with Matt for many years and is one of my best friends, I would never expect him to try to one-up or dupe someone else, always have been upfront with whatever he had sold me or others that I know.

Just my $.02...

He bought it that way and the guy that had it before him swaped the stuff out why I dunno. BUt what is this car worth you think it is still very very clean and still a 442 non the less. and also could the mods maybe clean the thread up now that we know it is a 442. thanks for all the help everyone but now I just want to get it back to a for sale thread lol

That is what GNLuver posted over on the Gbody link, Just incase no one wanted to jump over there and read it...

So, why are you giving this guy a hard time? Cuase its a 442 and not 442 original parts? Being a complete 442 the car being one are two different thing... Now, you've seen pictures and even a video, why are you busting on Matt's chops?

Wow...this story took a left when I expected a right.

Complains about it not being a 442.....then tries to sell it on a g-body board as a 442. I'm surprised no one noticed that on the other board. Instead they suggest an attack on nighthawk (by threatening to beat him up in front of his family).

You still want your $1k back man?

Google works wonders when you are really curious about things. I learned how to add my $.02 to a thread im not really involved in without coming across as too much of an a-hole.

Wow...this story took a left when I expected a right.

Complains about it not being a 442.....then tries to sell it on a g-body board as a 442. I'm surprised no one noticed that on the other board. Instead they suggest an attack on nighthawk (by threatening to beat him up in front of his family).

You still want your $1k back man?

Google works wonders when you are really curious about things. I learned how to add my $.02 to a thread im not really involved in without coming across as too much of an a-hole.

They can come get it if they want it.... I doubt no one will stand up to him or myself in person.:cool: