86 turbo on a HA

fyrlt67

So has anyone done a 86-87 on a HA car, other than reclocking the turbo, do I need to build a new cone to mount to the intake or can you use like intercooler hose and clamps to mount it?

Don't take this the wrong way but did you use the search key? I have answered this question several times as well as turbo6x2. There is more. The seals and backing plate are different and if you put an 87 turbo on your car it will blow oil. Do a search to read more.

Searched but didnt find anything on the swap, lots on stuff but I might have over looked it....thanks

from what i remember of the several posts over the years on the subject, the two types of turbos use different types of seals, and simply installing an IC turbo on a HA car wont work (will blow oil as mentioned above). To further complicate it, i seem to remember someone saying that they either don't make the type of seal necessary to do the conversion, or they don't make them in the size needed, or they may make them, but they're impossible to find, or something to that effect. I also seem to remember that even if you had the proper seal, finding someone to do the work necessary was difficult, and that cost-wise it really didn't make sense.

Then again, this is all from memory, and i know i have seen a few guys with either 86/87 stock turbos or larger IC-style turbos listed in their signatures, so apparently a few guys have figured it out.

To find out the exact situation, you should check out the search function. There are SEVERAL threads out there where this topic was discussed exhaustively.

A conclusion that I came to a while ago with regards to the hot-air GN:

while its not impossible to go ridiculously fast in one (just look at some of the big dogs here, Lee Thomspson, etc), its a bit of work. And to get to the point where you're maxing out the potential of a ta-33, you're gonna have to do a lot of work to a lot of other systems (intake, exhaust, etc.). I long ago realized that if i ever wanted my car to go faster than a ta-33 without an intercooler would take it, then it would be cheaper and easier to just get an IC engine and drop it in, rather than do what was neccesary to run an IC-style turbo, install a semi-custom intercooler kit, modify the intake, etc. etc. etc.

Then again, this is MY conclusion based on MY abilities, finances, wants and desires. That doesn't mean that for your situation the same thing applies.

Do a few searches (try a few different combinations of keywords, etc. sometimes it takes a few tries to find what you're looking for). The information is out there; find it and make an informed decision on what is best for you.

Sorry I can't help more myself, I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to turbos, so I don;t have any personal direct knowledge on the subject.

good luck!:)

Yeah I found the threads, I had found a 86 turbo at a good price but I is not to attractive now. I will stick with my 33c turbo just was looking at options, like most motorhead fast is never fast enough. Thanks for everyone two cents thats why I love this board no matter what you are trying someone has probably already tried it and has knowledge of all the options for our cars,

there all just the stock TB03's

One was going to be used on my CARB turbo system and the others were back ups - but I finally got me a carbon seal form my PT70 so its on to bigger and badder things.

A.j.