86 sports coupe swap

neilb

Hey, just thought I'd post some pics of my project and see what you guys think. Still needs a few things until she's on the road.

Attachments

• P1020046.jpg
    P1020046.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 387
  • 3.81.jpg
    3.81.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 375
  • turbo wheel.jpg
    turbo wheel.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 365
clean swap

nice!!! Put flat hood and some sleeper wheels and could recoup car cost quickly!!!! Just tell them whistle is intake leak!!!

nice!!! Put flat hood and some sleeper wheels and could recoup car cost quickly!!!! Just tell them whistle is intake leak!!!

Funny you say that, The car came with a flat hood, and the steel rally rims. And I still have them... I thought long and hard about leaving the stock hood on.

Cool, I building the same thing. '86 Sport Coupe. I'm mostly stocking parts at the moment but hope to be where you are soon.

what did you use for trans X-member, Motor mounts and any difficulties with wireing the car?

Thanks

The trans cross member is stock. I'm running a 700R4 with an adaptor plate from Jegs. The motor mounts are stock GN units. I welded the lower mounts to the Camaro's K frame. The wiring has been the biggest challenge of the build so far. I bought a new GN engine harness, then cut off the Bulk head connector and spliced in the old Camaro 2.8L connector. Two connectors had to be re-pinned next to the ECM.

UR50SLO, I just realized that white camaro is yours! I love your car! I have a pic of it on my computer as inspiration! I hope that I can get my car to look half as good as yours! I love the way you incorporated the intercooler tube into the rad support. This might be an option for me once I get a hold of a FMIC.

Here are some more pics of the engine. I've been tight on cash the last little while so I took to opportunity to do some underhood detailing and cleaning. I wasn't happy with the cluttered look of the wiring, so I cleaned some of it up a bit and moved some relays and the MAP and ESC module down inside the passenger fender. I replaced the powersteering reservoir (from a ford taurus) with one from a chevy safari with hydrasteer. the mounting is better and I moved it to infront of the rad. really cleans up engine bay. Some specs on my build:

3.8L bored 30 over
214/214 comps cam
CPTE60 turbonetics turbo :biggrin:
42# injectors (not installed yet)
turbo feed/ oil filter relocation kit
performance chip (turbo tweak, If I remember right :confused:)
stock location intercooler... FMIC in the near future
Edelbrock high flow fuel pump
RJC billet aluminum pullys and AC delete bracket (anyone know what belt to use? :confused:)
700R4 trans with a trans adaptor plate
Polyurethane suspension bushings
29"/9.5" Hoosier slicks... (too big?)

I plan on replacing that UGLY upper rad hose with a stainless or aluminum tubing piece, and eventually would like to step up to a larger throttle body/plenum and the RJC power plate. The champion racing fuel rails get me all excited, so those might be something to save up for... just like the looks of them.

Any suggestions on my set up would be welcome.. this is my first engine build ever and I want it done right.

Attachments

• P1020135.jpg
    P1020135.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 155
  • P1020136.jpg
    P1020136.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 173
  • P1020137.jpg
    P1020137.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 166
I also really want to get rid of the stock down pipe and replace it with a 3" unit, however that's going to be a custom made piece with some notching to the blower motor housing. The cheap chinese headers will be replaced with better units when I can afford it. The turbo support brace has already cracked and the car hasn't even ran yet!!! :mad: At least they were cheap.