86 Olds Cutlass turbo build

85begalttype

just a v6
decided to finally post pics of my project i started 2 summers ago. I have a 85 buick ttype as a daily driver and the original motor finally decided to give up with a wiped cam lobe and smoking turbo. Parked the car in its final resting last november. After inspecting the overall structural integrity of the rusted body, i decided it was not worth putting my soon to be rebuilt motor back into this car. Drivers floor pan was disappearing, under rear seat was almost gone, seat belts were bolted to flakes of rust. rear inner wheel wells were gone into the trunk and back seat. This car has served me well for a long time but it was no longer safe to drive. Im a big fan of other gbody cars, so i found a local 86 cutlass in good shape for $800, chevy 305 and a th200-4r. 008.jpg001.jpg011.jpg006.jpg007.jpg

So as of right now in my project, the cutlass has been stripped, media blasted, and sprayed with epoxy.
I bought one pack of dynamat extreme and dispersed it through out the cabin. 50% panel coverage is what i tried to go with since im on a tight budget and tried to get the most out of it. i should have taken more pics of the interior before masking. i got the carpet back in, dash in with converted turbo dash harness. Just need to save some money then start the body work. The joint between pillars and roof look really bad with the factory filler/lead work. i hope i can get this done before next summer but it depends on my finances, money never lasts it seems.

hello; Your doing a fine job and IMO it will be worth it. I've never driven a TB car with a colum but I know there out there. What part of the world are you in?
IBBY

Thanks man. Im located in the Fraser Valley, BC , Canada. So much moisture in the air and long rainy, salty winters..hard to find old cars that arent rusted away. Im using the ttype console shifter with my buckets. You can see in the pics that i have attached the console brackets to the floor.

Make sure you do something with the edge of the trunk where it meets the reverse lights. Cutlass are known for getting moisture in there from inside and rusting out. I would put some kind of rust preventing chemicals in there from the inside, before it starts the cancer. Good luck.. I would add alcohol injection to the hot air motor if it were my project.

thanks for the advice, i had the entire car sprayed with epoxy primer, including the trunk. should be pretty good for preventing rust. i will brush paint inside of trunk in the common rusting areas. and i am also planning on doing alcohol injection. the motor is going to be gm blue. i cant wait to be finished sometime next year summer.

Looks like a Datsun B110 in the background there. How did that survive the wet weather?

Looks like a Datsun B110 in the background there. How did that survive the wet weather?

its actually a 73 toyota corona, its been my daily driver since ive started this project. it has tons of rust, but the floor pans and subframe is solid, so still pretty safe to drive. and runs great on its original drivetrain.

That's a very clean find on that Cutlass. You're fortunate to have found that!
Have you got a complete set of pictures with the engine build and install? I would love to see it. I've got a couple hybrid cars myself and always enjoy the project builds.
Thanks,
David

That's a very clean find on that Cutlass. You're fortunate to have found that!
Have you got a complete set of pictures with the engine build and install? I would love to see it. I've got a couple hybrid cars myself and always enjoy the project builds.
Thanks,
David

Thanks for the interest, pics with the shell primered is where it still stands. Ran out of project money and will have to wait till march to get started again. Engine still sits on my stand disassembled. Everyday i think about driving the turbo buick motor again, hopefully will get to have this finished during summer :smile: will post pics when i get some progress again.

Augh! I should have read closer on the previous posts. I know that feeling of knowing how nice it is to have the finished project but not having time or resources to complete it.

I had a good day today. Ran my 84 Century (3.8SFI Turbo LG3 hybrid) many miles and scored a roof for my 1972 Nova restoration project.

Thanks,
David

sweet, ill check out your hybrid thread vids when i get off work. nice luck on your score! I found a hardtop cutlass at the wreckers, so my buddy is heading there later to get hardtop quarter windows and rear window trim. I was worried i wouldnt be able to find those parts by the time i needed them.