86 Grand National, How much power with my mods?

If your looking for a dyno queen you should of bought a Honda or mustang and built it. But it's fun to tell a guy in a mustang you've only got 350hp and then blow the doors off of him.

This is soooo true,we go out to the Friday night races:D and can't tell you how many 10 second cars have cried when my daughter gets to the stripe first with a 12 second car:confused:Horsepower is King but traction is the great equalizer:p

Kevin

Me and my brother built a few quick n/a Hondas like 300hp or so and we'd take them down to th local 1/8 mile strip and eat up cars with huge turbos when they unhooked the bottle. 900 horses isn't gonna help any one is your turbo doesn't spool until the last 50 feet.

SS/GN said:
This is soooo true,we go out to the Friday night races:D and can't tell you how many 10 second cars have cried when my daughter gets to the stripe first with a 12 second car:confused:Horsepower is King but traction is the great equalizer:p

Kevin

Sounds like driver error to me. The difference between a 12 sec and 10 sec cars potential is so much that the 10 sec drag strip car should still crush it. It will have about twice as much g force out the back. "should" be plenty of time to close the gap. My car runs 10.50' with a 2 sec 60' time.

Can't argue with that! However the conversation usually goes like this;) .My car makes 650 hp on my buddies dyno(a common #)It runs 10's(common # in the staging lanes)my daughter gets in and they go to the starting line:D even the starter says "this one has your number"Then the tree comes down and the 10 second car spins the tire and the little black car is gone:cool: .The 10 second car usually runs a couple mph fastero_OThat is why I like these cars
Kevin

SS/GN said:
Can't argue with that! However the conversation usually goes like this;) .My car makes 650 hp on my buddies dyno(a common #)It runs 10's(common # in the staging lanes)my daughter gets in and they go to the starting line:D even the starter says "this one has your number"Then the tree comes down and the 10 second car spins the tire and the little black car is gone:cool: .The 10 second car usually runs a couple mph fastero_OThat is why I like these cars
Kevin

Yup. I do the opposite and tell them my car only runs low 11's in good air. Usually they don't believe that thinking the car is slower and it's really more than a second quicker. I like making no time passes too. It let's everyone wonder what the number really is.

bison said:
Yup. I do the opposite and tell them my car only runs low 11's in good air. Usually they don't believe that thinking the car is slower and it's really more than a second quicker. I like making no time passes too. It let's everyone wonder what the number really is.

It drives me nuts when people don't show their times. It's such a let down.

It drives me nuts when people don't show their times. It's such a let down.

But if you have a true street car without cage or go over 135mph without an nhra license, there are few options. Otherwise you don't run at all, or at least no more than once.

we4Mateo said:
But if you have a true street car without cage or go over 135mph without an nhra license, there are few options. Otherwise you don't run at all, or at least no more than once.

The tech inspectors still see your time and you still get a time slip. It's just not displayed for anyone to see and a true no time pass is a bye run and you pay extra to make those runs

bison said:
The tech inspectors still see your time and you still get a time slip. It's just not displayed for anyone to see and a true no time pass is a bye run and you pay extra to make those runs

Good to know. I'm not in that territory yet. Seems like every track handles no time runs differently though.

Just curious,are you chasing a number or just trying to find more??I never got caught up in the dyno #s game.These cars don't make big #s but run good at the track.They put the power to the ground gradually and thats what makes them such a killer street car:D

Kevin
I'm not chasing numbers, i was just curious as what everyone thought my car would have with my mods. Pretty new to the GN scene, & figured this was the place to find answers. I have always liked GNs, just havent had one untill now. I've almost got it finished now. Like i said. I bought it in peices, & am just about to have it on the road for the first time since I've had it. This is my first GN also. Thanks

If your looking for a dyno queen you should of bought a Honda or mustang and built it. But it's fun to tell a guy in a mustang you've only got 350hp and then blow the doors off of him.
Not looking for a dyno queen, & I wouldn't have a honda! LOL Was just asking what the combo I have would make. Does anyone have any ET/mph estimates? Thanks

On 18 PSI? I am not one of the more knowledgeable guys here, but I am going to guess you could run in the low 12's. If you up the boost, the 6262 would really wake up and probably put you in the mid to low 11's with a good tune. That turbo has a lot in it. I bet you max the injectors before you max the turbo. I dynoed 340/520 in 80* weather converter unlocked about two months ago on a mustang dyno. Just went to the track and trapped 115. Thats with a 6131 turbo and 26PSI with Alky.

On 18 PSI? I am not one of the more knowledgeable guys here, but I am going to guess you could run in the low 12's. If you up the boost, the 6262 would really wake up and probably put you in the mid to low 11's with a good tune. That turbo has a lot in it. I bet you max the injectors before you max the turbo. I dynoed 340/520 in 80* weather converter unlocked about two months ago on a mustang dyno. Just went to the track and trapped 115. Thats with a 6131 turbo and 26PSI with Alky.
Thanks, that sounds good. I wish I would have ported the heads & intake before I put it all back together. Oh well, that will be for another day. I just want to get it on the road ASAP! I've had it to long & haven't got to drive it yet. Thanks again.

I'm not chasing numbers, i was just curious as what everyone thought my car would have with my mods. Pretty new to the GN scene, & figured this was the place to find answers. I have always liked GNs, just havent had one untill now. I've almost got it finished now. Like i said. I bought it in peices, & am just about to have it on the road for the first time since I've had it. This is my first GN also. Thanks

You have come to the right place.:D These cars are a love Hate relationship,kinda like being married:rolleyes:Enjoy the car and welcome to the best sleepers ever made:cool:

Kevin
Sorry about taking your thread off course;)

You have come to the right place.:D These cars are a love Hate relationship,kinda like being married:rolleyes:Enjoy the car and welcome to the best sleepers ever made:cool:

Kevin
Sorry about taking your thread off course;)
I know about the married thing. ;) LOL You didn't take it of course, I can't wait to finally get mine back on the road.:)

That's not what I wanted to hear.:( What are the stock transmissions good for power wise? Mine just has a shift kit & a PTC 10" converter.
well is your car a everyday driver or do you want more of a street/strip car? If you drive it everyday and use the highway often then you might want to keep your overdrive and stick to a stage 200r4(extreme automatics, lonnie deers). If you crusie around at 35-50 then go for a th400, theyre slightly cheaper to build and hold alot more power. thats what i went with...but with that, you have to custom make your driveshaft 200 bucks or so and get a new converter and a few other things.

well is your car a everyday driver or do you want more of a street/strip car? If you drive it everyday and use the highway often then you might want to keep your overdrive and stick to a stage 200r4(extreme automatics, lonnie deers). If you crusie around at 35-50 then go for a th400, theyre slightly cheaper to build and hold alot more power. thats what i went with...but with that, you have to custom make your driveshaft 200 bucks or so and get a new converter and a few other things.
Car will be for sunny days! :) I have a Silverado for my daily driver. I will take it to the track of course to see what it runs, but will be on the street 95% of the time. Do you have any ideas what it would run with my mods? Thanks