86 GN POWER SEAT COUPLING

blipmode188

I have an 86 gn with the broken power seat coupling. My seat stopped working in all directions, up, down, forward, back word etc

The motor runs whenever I push on the switches, so a quick search on the subject and it pointed to a broken coupling.

Went out and looked at it and sure enough it is cracked in half.

GBODY has the part, but I saw a bunch of problems getting the seat out since it is stuck all the way back.

Someone mentioned "a long time ago" that it can be replaced with the seat still installed in the car.

I cant figure out how to replace it while in the car.

Anyone have any ideas or have replaced it while the seat is still in the car ?

Thanks for any help Steve.

PS I am going to try to upload a picture but it may not work ?

Attachments

• coupling.JPG
    coupling.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 152
The seat needs to come out. :(

You need to be creative to remove the rear nuts, but it can be done. You may have to remove the seat from the tracks which is the way I had to get one done.

I never allow anyone the let my power seats all the way down or back for just this reason.

Thanks there are in fact 6 nuts to remove the drivers side power seat in an 86 GN . Two in the front and 4 in the back
Thanks to everyone for the help !
Steve

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I had the same thing happen I super glue the parts back together lasted long enough to move the set back and forth to get to the bolts

I got a coupler off ebay. Done mine with seat in the car. Took front seat bracket nuts off the brackets to give a little lifting room. Used wobble joint to get the screws out. The coupler from ebay had to be filed inside slightly, was really tight on the shaft. One might be better off pulling seat if you dont have 1/4 inch wobble joint sockets....

I got a coupler off ebay. Done mine with seat in the car. Took front seat bracket nuts off the brackets to give a little lifting room. Used wobble joint to get the screws out. The coupler from ebay had to be filed inside slightly, was really tight on the shaft. One might be better off pulling seat if you dont have 1/4 inch wobble joint sockets....

my plastic was so dry rotted didn't want to take a chance braking something else so I just removed for easy excess, it is doable like you mentioned

Got the seat out and the coupler out. What a pain. Anyway going to order the coupler and hopefully done with it for a while.
Someone can add to the differences between an 86 and 87 GN
Apparently the 86's have one motor and a transmission, and the 87's have 3 motors from what others have said.

Thanks for all the help from the board !
Steve