86-87 intake in 84-85

junction34

I know the manifolds, and intake or better on 86/87 can these be swapped into 84/85. Also I heard the 84/85 block is weak compared to 86/87 is it not a 109, if not can it go into 84/85?

The 84/85 block is not the 109, rather the 329. There is more info here: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/blocks/blockguide.html
The 109 is stronger than the 329, however, I have heard that the 84/85 block can be run into the high 10's with no problems. I am quite sure that a 109 can be put into a Hot Air. I would think that there have been some members that have done it. Hopefully some will chime in and give their experiences.

Yes,all that stuff can be swapped over and I have about 95% of the parts to get you there.It aint cheap switching to the 86-87 setup though.

Youll be fine with your long block,crank and rods are the same.Several have run there 84-85 blocks into the 10's.Only thing youll have to do to the 84-85 block is drill the turbo oil return or run it to the pan.

And yes a 109 can be put in a hot air car,thyere both G body's!!

It's not worth your time trying to get an 87 intake to work on a hotair. You're better off doing the complete 87 conversion or modding your hotair.

The hotair intake isn't that great in stock form but a ported hotair intake flows better than a stock 87 intake. I ended up welding some material to the outside of the ports and porting my intake to the felpro 1200 gaskets. Not necessary but it should flow more air than I'll ever need.

As Broke1 said, the 109 block is a direct bolt in. Differences are: turbo oil return line hole in 109 block, 20 bolt oil pan, different headbolts and headgaskets.

The difference in strength is very minimal if any. If I were trying to run a TSM car in the 9s I would go 109. Anything less and I think the hotair block will be just fine. It takes a little more prep when building such as grinding the valley smooth, removing the first 2 threads in the headbolt holes and running headstuds. It's not much work and not absolutely necessary but worthwhile if you're already in there.

I am looking to build a street driver not something really designed for the track. IS the TA33 a good turbo for street what grade stall for this turbo is good and is it even really possible to drive a stall day to day on this turbo?

I've been using an 85 block in my 87 for about 3 years, with *cast* pistons. As a mule engine it's been beat on rather heavily, and only when an injector failed, did I manage to kill one of the cast pistons. Keep em out of detonate is key to any engine living. If you going serious racing then yes, get a 109, other then that, a good tune will give you lots of mileage out of one.

I run a TA33 on my car. Its a great turbo and if you look at the flow numbers - its a great upgrade from stock. I recently rebuild and bulletproofed my trans - with the addition of a 2800 stall converter.

Its not a daily driver - but it could be. Has excellent street manners.

stall in daliy driver

i run a 2800 stall in my 84 and works fine. i drive it regular during the warmer months . only thing i suggest as most would on here is to run a good trans cooler ever on a stock motor or trans.
heat will kill a trans fast and higher stall converters will make more heat. most trans builders on this board will say stall or not you should have a cooler on it just to keep up durability of trans.
andy

I ran a ta-33 with an orange stripe 2800 stall. The 2800 made a big difference with mine, I think my convertor must have been bad. I couldn't get the spool up to hardly spin the tires. It was my daily driver and ran great. It went high 13's hot air. Anded a spearco intercooler and went high 12's.
Why would the conversion on an 84 be cost prohibitive to convert to the 87 intake? It seems like the parts are available. Such as intake, exhaust manifolds. There's not that much used hot air upgrades out there. New; the turbo would be $800, headers and downpipe $800, Intake work $?. I bought all this stuff new for my 84. Now that I'm rebuilding the 87, I sold all my performance stuff off of the 84 so I could sell it. Now my 16 year old son might want to drive it, so it looks like I might slowly want to push the performance back up. I do have a stock 87 turbo, so was thinking of the 87 intake.