85 t-type keep the 85 motor or swap to an 87

white-t-type

I have an 85 t-type with a little rattle in the bottom end. I bought it this way. I can either rebuild the 85 motor or put in a 1987 motor from a 49,000 mile grand national. I have everything for the motor, turbo accesories, sensors etc... But I do not have the intercooler, piping or wiring for the 87. Would I be better off re-building the 85 motor and selling the 87 motor or would I be better off buying everything I need to hook up the 87 intercooled? 3rd choice would be, can I just change the intake and use the 87 motor but with the 85 intake and turbo etc? This car has a beautiful paint and the interior is clean, I am not looking for a drag car here just a nice street car with a/c. Some time down the road I may want to sell this car which way would it sell better? Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

I.M.O. put the 87 long block in it and drive & enjoy it while you rebuild the 85 long block. Everything will bolt up on the 87 long block but obviously you will need a plug for the oil drain hole in the front of the block. The 87 engine could be in fantastic shape or it could be on borrowed time. This way in the end you will know what you have. I'm partial to stock appearing hot air cars. they are rare to start off with & lots being converted or heavily modified (just read the hot air section of the board). Sourcing all the extra bits to swap over to intercooled could be $$$ if you didn't get the whole set-up with your donor engine.

I am new to these motors, if I wanted to run the 87 long block would all of the sensors be the same? Would I need to change the intakes?

Why not go a little further and convert it to an 87 setup. Trust me, you will be much happier.:biggrin:

86-87 Harness $150-200
86-87 ECM $50-100
After market used IC $300-500

Under a grand, you will have a fun ride

Almost all the sensors are diffrent. The passanger side header and crossover as well. Best thing to do as far as sensors and wiring harness would be to get everything new from Caspers. It will be pricey but that way you wouldn't be fighting with trying to figure out why the car isn't running right.