85 T-type DETONATION HELP HELP HELP

cturboaddict

I ve got a problem please help. Ive installed a 85 T-type motor in a 85 Chevy S-10. I have had alot of problems with the motor over the past few months. I have replaced the timing chain, tps (about 3 times), o2 sensor, pushrods, lifters, oil pan gasket and rear main seal ( was leaking real bad , probably caused most of this) and this weekend to add to it , i will replace the bearings. Anyway, I found out that I had the wastegat hooked up backwards for about two years:mad: :mad: :mad: :eek: , after i installed all of these parts I took it for a test drive. Now the turbo screams when I get on it and it detonates. But it runs the best it has ever... Duh... I have tried to set the cam sensor over and over again. but every time I set it, it seems to change. No codes are being set and when the truck is in park the truck sounds great. Except for the bearing noise that I just discovered. I wanted to know if anyone knew how I could set the timing. and what sensors should I check. What is wrong with my truck. Just incase you need to know. I swapped wiring harnesses with an 85 Regal T-type, inside and out. Also my digital speedometer dosent work now. Dont light up or anything. Everything else works though except for the turboa lights, nothing at all with them also. I will update this message daily. So please help me.

Originally posted by cturboaddict
I have tried to set the cam sensor over and over again. but every time I set it, it seems to change.
This is where I'd start looking! It shouldn't be changing, if it is, you may have something wrong with the cam sensor drive gear or shaft, or the interrupter ring under the sensor cap may be loose(?)...I had my cam sensor set too far advanced once, and while the engine ran (and fairly well), the ignition timing was way advanced, and it knocked badly when boost came on! If your sensor setting is "changing", this may account for the knock!

knock

check all your grounds allso i had i bad ground on my 85gn and got no codes ran good but when i gave it boost it would act like your truck do u live in ct if u need hot air parts i have a bunch hope this helps:cool:

I will check the ground in my repair process this weekend. (bearings-main and rod-sounds fun huh) Do you have anything good parts wise. :mad:

parts

well u r not to far away i live in ct let me know how you make out u can email me if u want:cool:

Quick question

I found out that my crank was smoked and when I was pulling my crank sensor off I noticed that it was hooked up wrong. I had the three tabs that spin with the harmonic balancer on the outside of the sensor not running through them. What would this do to the performance of the car??
Also When I set my tps and check it when I move the lever to check the rising voltage at about 3.6 it skips back down to 0.7 then jumps back up to 4.2. I have noticed that when I drive the truck that there is a spot about 1/2 throttle that it stutters? Do you know what this could be???

Truck is running good now except for the idle. Idles rough and when I start it after sitting for a while it idles real high and then I shut it off and restart it again-it idles lower but rough. Also I havent really got on it since I put the crank in but when I get into high boost 9 and up it dosent seem to pull real well. Sounds like its pulling just dosent seem to be moving. Cant tell the speed cause the spedo dosent work:mad: . Cant figure that out either. could it be the fuel pump. the fuel pump is out of a ford. :confused:

ford parts

ford parts in a chevy that explains it :D might as well have gremlins in it :D have you tried the o2 sensor and the mass air and also the unit in the throttle body?:cool:

FORD BACKWARDS- Driver Returns On Foot

Yeah I replaced the O2 and I have an extra mass air. I have been trying to find out how to check the Iac but no one knows.

yeah that is what I heard before to do, just didnt sound right.

Looks like I need to find a scantool. Ever since I have owned the buick motor everyone says use the scantool for everything. Sounds like it is a fine tuning instrument. Do you know where I could get one and for howmuch?????;)

I just realized who you were....

Your website has helped me so much in working on my truck. The diagrams you have are great. :cool: The vaccum line routings are so clear and easy to read. where did you get them from. Do you have any wiring diagrams for the digital dash....

Yes

The turbo gauge works, Havent seen the red light since I put it in though. The fuel works the odometer works the trip odometer works. the speedo worked when I first put it in then it stopped for about a day. then it worked for a few hours and now it hasent worked in about 2 weeks???