85 Limited LC2 or 455

I want to go Buick powered so the BBB 455 is what I am interested in. I am starti to sell off some LC2 stuff I have had sitting around.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I really have no clue what an engine and tranny are worth.

I want to go Buick powered so the BBB 455 is what I am interested in. I am starti to sell off some LC2 stuff I have had sitting around.

jpratt, Are your plans to run a bored with standard stroke block or a stroker BBB engine? I may have a few BBB engines and a trans or two in storage.

To be honest I know nothing about BBB's. I just wanted down thing different. I think I wanna started out simple and build up as I learn like I did with the GN.

Any year 455 can be built to hold 600hp.with little to no mods. But the 75-76 year blocks have a higher nickel content and are more sought after for highhp builds. If you get a 70 block you need to drill out the oil gallery. All the info you could ever want on v8buick.com

I have been kicking around the idea of putting a BBB in a clean 82 Regal that I picked up a few months ago. The OP's idea of something simple and no clutter is very appealing to me as well. I bought a 430 off of CL and have found that TA performance has a lot of the parts need to make the swap fairly simple.

Brought the block home this week but haven't had time to tear it apart yet. Hopefully I can get to it Sunday or Monday but it's corporate blue and original so it should be 75-76.;)

I did not know that the late model blocks were better. The 430 is from 69 but I think it should have the good heads according to the guy that sold it.

I did not know that the late model blocks were better. The 430 is from 69 but I think it should have the good heads according to the guy that sold it.

I don't think the 69 heads are anything special. I have a set laying around and the casting # is not one of the "big port" heads. From what I remember, the good castings were only found on '67 and some '68 400's. Not on any 430's.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Ok, so the 69cc heads did come on some of the 430's, but not in '69.

http://www.hotrodreference.com/319/big-block-buick-cylinder-head-casting-numbers/

That being said, you can still do cool things with them. The skylark I posted had a '69 430 with '68 400 heads. My heads were not the big port heads, but they were ported pretty well and flow benched. I had a stock ported intake, stock ported exhaust manifolds, TRW 10.0:1 forged pistons, ARP fastners, lunati 116 cam, Crower valve springs, ta adjustable push rods (highly recommended) ta rockers, and ta exhaust. I made a 13.8 sec run at 98 degrees with a 6000ft da. The best part is that I was young and had no clue how to tune a car then. I was running rich and only had 28 degrees of timing. Long after I put all that in my sisters 68 and before I sold it for her, I got the fueling right and had the timing at 35. That thing really woke up. I regret getting rid of it, but I had no space. Originally I had that motor in a beat to hell '68 GS with a 3:73 and a 4 speed. The guy who built the motor for me had it running right and that car was nuts. I used to take out mid 12 sec cars on the street with that car. I never took it to the track because it would never pass tech inspection.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Thanks for the link I will check my heads. I wanted to keep this an economy swap and just have a fun car to drive but even buying everything on the cheap has a way adding up.

Thanks Mike. My heads are 70-72 heads and the block is a 71-72 casting. That link has a good bit of info in it.;)

Thanks once again Mike for the link. Turns out that I have a 1968 430 with 69 cc big port heads.

That is fantastic news! What are the plans? Personally, if the motor is healthy I would put in a cam suited for stock motors, get some better rockers and adjustable push rods, maybe some headers, Edelbrock B4B intake, and try to score a '71 455 Q Jet. Oh, and a good distributor.