85 Limited LC2 or 455

jpratt

I have a 85 Limited that came from factory with a carb'd V6. When I bought her a few years ago someone did a horrible job installing a hot air motor in it. The fuel pump wire was speaker cable and they only installed one motor mount, just an example of how well that installation job was.
I now have a unknown condition LC2 motor sitting in the bay but not bolted down to anything. I have been collecting parts over the last few years to slowing build it up to a fast sleeper style car. Last week I was at the drag strip walking around admiring the simple things like a carb'd V8 with very little wires and vacuum hoses and thought how wonderful it must be to be able to drive a fast car without constantly TS while something went wrong and replacing sensors and then adjusting them year after year.
I am now contemplating selling off the LC2 stuff I have saved for her and get a 455 instead. I know very little about Buick V8's but thought it "should" be less troublesome than the FI engines everyone else is going with. My buddies here are all yelling LS this and LS that but I dont want a newer style engine, I want a BUICK motor.
What are your thoughts on which way I should drag this thing down? Remember I already have a 10.9 sec GN.

Interesting thought. I already have a spare 231 block.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Depending on where you live you may not be able to do a BBB swap if you plan n driving on the street with it. Do you have an emission inspection where you live?

No emission here. In fact I am pretty open to do what ever kind of swap I can.

I'd say go with a blow through BBB then.:D You could run low boost and have some fun and not worry to much about blowing up. 7-8 PSI on a decent build would be a torque monster.;)

With a 10.9 gn no.need for another lc2. If it was me I.would do.bbb but make it look.factory. still.use the ac etc but the blow thru carb sounds.good too..

So now I need to find a 455 and get the built going. Any sellers?

I'm so glad others advised on a 455. That is such a fun motor if built right. Gobbs of torque right off the bat! My first love from Buicks came from big block cars. I had to get my sister's '68 running so she could sell it and it was therapeutic to work on an old school motor. I really miss that car and she would have given it too me if I had the room for it. It had my old drivetrain from my last couple cars in it. Here it is at 6000ft DA in my 4000lb 4 door skylark:

I had a buddy who put a 455 in a Regal. Diesel G Body front springs work well. He also had a BRF trans behind it and a 3:42 8" rear end. That thing ran 12's with an almost stock motor and got 20 mpg on the highway if I remember correctly.

Yeah go 455, I built a couple 455 regals some years ago and they were fun. Check out v8buick.com. They have there own section there.

So now I need to find a 455 and get the built going. Any sellers?

What's your location? I've got a good pair of heads that've been stripped and crack checked and a block I haven't done anything with. It sat out for a while but it's been sitting in my storage unit so long I wouldn't be upset i it found a new home.;)

I am in the middle of Missouri, 100 miles SW of St. Louis and 100 miles NE of Springfield

I have followed your stories and have already decided stopping there if I am ever in that neck of the woods.

Talk to me about that 455-400 combo. Wife might like a road trip.

I've got a 455 Buick and the 455 poncho is a buddies that I've been storing for him. The 400 is on the back of the poncho but hasn't been gone through at all. Also have an ST300 tranny if you want a 2 speed to go in it.:D