85 in a 82

newwguyy

Im swapping out my 82 regal sport's 3.8 and attempting to put in a 3.8 out of an 85 ttype...Other than having to mess with the fuel pump and fuel pump wiring any anticipated problems? anyone ever done this before? I have all the wiring harness and computer etc.. anyone, anyone? PLEASE

I am currently taking an 84 NA Regal and converting it to an 82 Turbo Regal Sport Coupe. Both are carb'd cars. Since I'm cloning, I swapped everything. Some of these probably won't be applicable to you depending on what your intentions are, but you will at least be aware of them.
The 84 harness would not plug into the 82 transmission.
The 84 harness would not plug into the 82 dash.
The 82 harness would not plug into the 84 windshield washer pump.
The 82 & 84 windshiled washer pumps are different and one mounting hole off, just drill the third hole.
I wanted to use the 82 dash, so I had to swap the main harness behind the dash. After the swap, the 84 headlight harness would not plug into the 82 fuse block, so I changed that harness to the 82.
I was able to plug the 82 ECM harness into the 84 main harness and the car ran fine. The PLUG on the Knock sensor module (under the dash) is interchangeable between 82 & 84, but the modules and knock sensors are different, you must use a matched set for it to work correctly.
These are scattered thoughts from a year ago, so I'm probably missing somethings.
This was not an overly difficult thing to do, it just takes time. I was really surprised to keep revealing that buick had made so many sutble changes. Things really looked the same until I tried to plug them in. Hope this helps. Keep asking questions here, that's how I got thru mine.
Regards,