85 Gn Too Slow Off The Line

BRAD_PADGETT

I HAVE RESTORED AN 85 GN WHICH IS STILL TOO SLOW FROM A DRAG TYPE SITUATION. A HONDA ACTUALLY HAD ME.

MY CARS CURRENT SITUATION IS:
NEW MOTOR WITH A LARGER CAM SHAFT-STAGE 1
COLD AIR KIT
ULTRA CHIP SET TO STOCK
NEW TIRES
POSTON HEADERS
HIGH FLOW CAT
HIGH FLOW HOOKER EXHAUST
NEW STOCK FUEL PUMP WITH A RACETRONIC HOT WIRE KIT.

THE CAR IS NOW ALOT FASTER THAN ORIGINAL BUT IS STILL A DOG FROM A STOPPED POSITION.

I NEED ADVICE ON WHERE TO GO FROM HERE , I NEED A 13.00 TYPE CAR.

THANKS- BRAD

Your far from a 13.00

Your gonna need at least a bigger turbo, injectors, chip, fuel pump. Then if you have all that and run some race gas and hook you should be at the 13.00 if tuned correctly.

As for being slow off the line I know what u mean, I can launch my car w/ 7lbs boost and will spin the tires for maybe 10 feet. It launches pretty weak. Can barely spin my BFG radials:rolleyes:

So, what did you run? Are you building boost at the line or just flooring it? What are you 60ft. times?
It looks like your exhuast system is complete besides a nice, bigger down pipe.
You need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and bigger fuel pump!! Then get an adjustable wastegate for the turbo. Throw some race gas in, turn your chip up, and turn the boost up and you will see no more hondas out in front. But, you would still not be at 13.00.
Do you have a scan tool?
Oh ya, even a stock 86/87 turbo would help you go faster then that little hair dryer you got on there now. Ever think about intercooling it or are your trying to stay with the hot air theme?
The stock TURBO, injectors, heads, INTAKE, and downpipe are going to be your limiting factors.

Nick

What does the convertor stall at? It's common for transmission shops to install the wrong convertor like a D6 or D7 which stalls at 1,600rpm. The motor makes ~50hp at that rpm so it will be extremely slow out of the hole.

Any exhaust leaks?

I remember when I was near stock, I went around on stickies all the time and had several 12 second cars shut down after first gear because I came out of the hole so hard they thought my car was faster than it really was.

With the stock turbo it should launch hard and fall off on the top end.

BLMs? O2s? How much FP? How much boost?

May be running pig rich on the low end at least, that'll do it for sure.

If you want a fast hotair spray nitrous. I know most will disagree but it works on these cars.

Burnout

Originally posted by 6SENSE

May be running pig rich on the low end at least, that'll do it for sure.

my car does....hmmm....how do i fix it? could it be the missing MAT sensor?

I have solved one major mistake on my car. I had my mechanic install an adjustable waste gate actuator on my car set to max. boost.
It is no wonder why the car didn"t go fast. I changed the adjustable wasts gate actuator to the proper setting and all is good.

I will finish the car this year with a Ta33 turbo, 30 lbs. injectors, adj fuel reg, and a walbro fuel pump. This will get where I want to go. Faster than a stock 87 gn for less money and a new engine, exhaust, ect. thanks for all your help. Brad

I did quite a few mods at once. But I came out of the hole, slow. Hard time spinning tires. This was after I even put on the ta-33. My adjustable wastegate was bad, I also added a 2800 stall convertor. I could have been a few other things, but those two helped.