85 GN metallic Red

1st-GN

I was at a car show last week in Sarasota, Florida with my GSX. A guy walks up and looks at my car and we chat for a bit. I find out he ran the paint shop at GM for @ 30 years. We talked at length about the GSX because he recalled the numerous problems GM had due to striping the cars on the floor.

Later in the conversation I told him I had an 84 GN. He said that he had authorized the painting of 1 (one) GN the second year of the "all black" cars, to be painted metallic red! It left the factory RED!! He told me the the VIN and all paper work was left to show black because they could not change that due to it being an "inside job".

So..... there is a legit red 85 GN out there somewhere. Anyone ever seen it?

The 84/85 GN was simply a body exterior option for the TTYPE model. By definition there would not have been any "red" GN's made. Somebody created it after it left the factory. My opinion though. Brad

This car left the factory painted red. I talked to Larry, the guy who "bought off" all departments necessary to get this 85 GN painted red at the factory as new. It is not a repaint or a "non-factory" job. This was a job that took "string-pulling" with the right guy. I hope to see it someday.

All GN's - Are T-types

small correction... to another's post.

...With "Interior" and exterior differences.

If you look inside the GN's you will see several differences... dash plaque above the glove box states "Grand National"... Steering wheel horn button (someone correct me on this one if wrong - not standing by my car at the moment)... '84 GN dash is different in color as well as carpet color... seat head rests have the turbo 6 and leather interior...

All of the GN's were t-types pulled off the line... black cars. The VIN's were NEVER tracked. (Buick never thought these cars would be collected) The rarest cars had the factory moon roof because it was a pricey option. The G80 code (Posi traction) is not a guarantee with the GN option.

If someone wishes to "clone" an '84 - '85 T-type to be an "off color" GN I would suggest doing an '85 model because it would be far easier to find the parts... I am still trying to find replacement digital dash parts for my '84 GN.

Several have painted their car another color; as for your interesting story that car is probably wrapped around a telephone pole, or crushed after sitting in dismantling yard all these years. You'll never find the VIN.

I remember reading in an old article that Buick was originally going to make the '84 GN red, but thought it looked too much like a Pontiac so thy chose black. There was a photo of a red 'prototype' (more like a design exercise), but I figure if one ever came from the factory painted red, it would have been a big story long ago. I suppose if the guy ran the paint shop he could have done one if he wanted. But since there can be no documentation, it's an urban legend and impossible to prove.

So that is why my title and registration shows T-type. After an hour with the lady at the county courthouse arguing that my 84 is a grand national not a t-type. Guess I owe her an oppologie. Guess their computers are right after all. Guess even an old dog can learn something new.

I remember reading in an old article that Buick was originally going to make the '84 GN red, but thought it looked too much like a Pontiac so thy chose black. There was a photo of a red 'prototype' (more like a design exercise), but I figure if one ever came from the factory painted red, it would have been a big story long ago. I suppose if the guy ran the paint shop he could have done one if he wanted. But since there can be no documentation, it's an urban legend and impossible to prove.

Here you go Dave. Some info on the original design for you.:biggrin:

BEFORE BLACK - 1983 Red GN

BEFORE BLACK - 1983 Street Regal

Yep, that's the one I remember. Thanks Charlie! ...I kinda like that one-piece fascia, too bad nobody makes one...

I agree, I wish someone made a one piece nose for the cars now. Seems it went out of fashion for the Regal but you can get all kinds of nose pieces for the monte.:mad: