85 GN: Braided Pipe into Turbo

silverbetty

On our 85 GN we noticed that the braided pipe that runs from the header to the turbo emitted some smoke. Does anyone know if that can be welded since it is braided? I assume it's suppose to have some flex in it. Or is there a source for an aftermarket or orginal replacement?

Thanks

I presume you're referring to the up-pipe.(?) In any case, the braided material you mentioned is actually an insulating sleeve - not part of the pipe so welding it won't stop the exhaust leak. I don't know if stock pieces are still available but there are some aftermarket pipes. Try Postons, ATR and some of the other vendors on this site. Maybe someone else on this forum will 'pipe' up with a better suggestion. :)

Good luck.

As stated above the braided stuff, i do not belive can be welded. If you want you can go to www.jaysgn.com. He has a pretty good stock replacement if you are looking to stay stock. If not then there are many places for upgrades just search on the board. Hope that helped some. Harry

I had same problem.It was leaking in the center of the pipe, under the braided cover.I cut the braided stuff off and sure enough the accordian center was split open and leaking.I hunted down one of those accordian pieces.I cut the old one out and had the NEW one welded in.It is just as good as original.Minus the braided cover.The only reason I found one of those accordian pieces was 'cause my brother in law is a semi truck driver,he hauled a load of scrap new exhaust pipes from some national exhaust mfg.The pipes he hauled are under strict supervision he said 'cause the mfg does not want them getting into the hands of people that could use them.Even though they are scrap it was all brand new stuff.Might try to get one from a similar source.HTH!I do have 1 more of those flex joints but it is part of some other type of exhaust pipe for an unknown application.It would have to be cut out and then used.

If it is leaking, I would be careful about driving with the leak. I had an engine compartment fire from one on a previous GN. If you like the stock one, there are plenty of used ones around. They may also be available from GN, but I believe those are pretty pricey.

I ran into the same problem with my uppipe last year. You can buy a new one from Jays, ATR and Poston. I got a virtually new original by posting on the parts wanted list on this website. Paid 60 plus shipping I also bought another spare one for 45 plus shipping. The only reason I went back to stock is because the new Poston one I bought didn't fit. Alot of other people say they are great. Good Luck- Brad

Great, thanks everyone. My search now begins for an up pipe. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with an OEM piece or aftermarket. We'll have to see what I can find.

Thanks Again.

up pipe

i have an extra pipe ,one pipe with braid and one without.
just extra parts that i didnt need when i upgraded to atr headers
35 plus ship if interested.
thanks andy