84-runs like s**t

nightowls_gm

the engine is a fresh rebuild.i finally got to start, it ran ok for a few seconds then it started running like s**t.i tried moving the timing and ity was the same thing or worst, still backfiring and missfiring. so i started checking everything and it all seemed fine except for the water in the radiator.i looks like s**t and i dont exactly know what this means, it has a new radiator and just put coolant and water.has this every happend to anyone?
PhotO-0086.jpg

the engine is a fresh rebuild.i finally got to start, it ran ok for a few seconds then it started running like ****.i tried moving the timing and ity was the same thing or worst, still backfiring and missfiring. so i started checking everything and it all seemed fine except for the water in the radiator.i looks like **** and i dont exactly know what this means.has this every happend to anyone?
PhotO-0086.jpg

How did you move the timing?

You ned to do a system flush, then get some distilled water and add RMI25.
That will clean the system. Get the RMI 25 from Nick McHale - AzGN on this board.

it runs pretty good now turns out it was the spark plugs went bad from cranking over and flooding.i still havent flushed out the radiator yet im dong it tommorow. i do have a ?s. i ahve a air/fuel mixture gauge and the car ran stoich for a good while then it started runnig lean. i tryed putting the fuel pressure up a bit but it didnt do any thing. how can i even out the fuel?

Dude, that pic really makes me think you have a gasket problem, your A/F problem makes me think it's the intake. I could be all wet but I would try the starter fluid trick once the engine is warm and your A/F leans out. Look for the leak to be around the center of the intake on each head.

How does the oil look??

take that radiator out and back flush it with your garden hose. then put it back in and flush the engine out with straight water- take the thermostat housing off and keep filling the radiator until the water that's coming out is clean, then do it for a while longer.
after that, put the thermostat back in and put some radiator flush in it and run it for a while. drain it again, flush it with palin water again, and then run it with pure water with a little bit of antifreeze in it for corrosion protection until you figure this out.

thanks will do. the oil looks good and the spark plugs are also clean its just the water that is dirty. but i think i am going to relace the intake gasket i think thats where the problem is at.

It is possible to get oil in the radiator ….. but highly unlikely.

Radiator is under pressure when engine get hot ……. All areas where oil can enter the coolant system, is at lower pressure than the coolant system, under certain conditions, and at “0 psig” with hot engine, engine off.

all the brown crap was acually coming from the reserve tank so i cleaned it out and the coolant is clean now.i changed the spark plugs and now it runs good except the idle is somtimes rough i think it might be the tps.here is a video of the engine running.by the way whats a good way to break in the enginge?