84 New Owner Questions

84GNPILE

The past few weeks I've been replacing everything on this motor I can get my hands on.All the fluids,hoses,filters,vac lines,water pump,thermostat,plugs,belts,wires,02 sensor,TPS sensor,fuses,blah blah blah

O.K.- the questions
When you change the oil and filter you disconnect the orange wire and crank the engine 30-45 seconds to prime the oil system.Does the light in the dash turn off to let you know it's done?Mine did not.I disconnected the feed line to the turbo and cranked it over, no oil cometh out........:( But, I can blow into it and it is not obstructed so I assume pump is bad???If the pump is bad and I have to change it, does the timing cover have to come off?

When the orange wire is disconnected, should the car start if you keep cranking it over?

In the hole in the dash where the radio should be there is a round connecter with a black wire and a gray wire going into it.What is it supposed to connect to??

Other than making sure the TPS,IAC,and idle are within the proper specs,is there a reset for the ECM or does it just recalibrate itself after disconnecting the battery?

Finally, the floor shift cable-does anyone have a p/n for it??Autozone,Oreilly's, Napa or other?

Thanks for all the help-Joel

Joel,

Me personally, on all my cars I have never primed the oil system after an oil change. You just replace the oil and filter and your ready to rock and roll. No need to prime the oil in between changes, as when you change the oil, you don't really drain ALL the oil. You need to prime the oil pump when you rebuild your engine becuase there is no oil in the block anywhere.

The ecm clears itself when you unhook the battery for a minute or so.

Not sure about your radio wire...perhaps someone else can chime in...

Call Brain Weavy from Gbodyparts.com and he'll hook you up with a shifter cable.

Nathyn

FYI- just to be clear, the wire is located in the hole where the radio is supposed to be.Round connector w/2 wires-one grey, one black.Same type of connector as the orange ECM wire, but looks like a blade type male end goes into it.It goes into the harness above the ALDL port

Thanx Nathyn:D

quick tip for ANY car you change the oil on:always fill the filter with oil before you install it.it'll fill up a couple of times before it's actually full.i usually pull the filter out and give it it's first fill before i even start the oil change,then go back by every couple of minutes and top it off as the oil soaks into the filter.

does some oil get spilled this way?

yes.

does this method DRASTICALLY reduce the time your engine spends running on dry bearings on start up?

oh,hell yes.:cool:

Light for console

I think the wire your looking at attaches to the wire for the light on the console shift. If yours is not lit that could be why. I'll check mine and see. I don't have a radio in now so I know the wire your talking about.

Thanx Bat

That makes sense that it is the console wire.My console is in the trunk right now so I will have to take a look when I get home.....:D