84 hot air cutting out.

venom356

my friend is calling me with an issue with his 1984 hot air.
He tells me it idles fine, but he cant rev it past 2 or 3k rpms. when he does, the car cuts off and he can hear sucking through the intake. hes checked the fuel pressure, its fine, i loaned him one of my ecm's and hes having the same issue. any clue?

check the o-rings on the turbo adapter
i think it may be a vacuum leak.
check to see if it has black smoke out exhaust when it falls off

did he check fuel pressure underload .
is he getting any boost?is wastegate opening?
check engine light come on?
is catalytic convertor pluged?
how many miles on timing chain?
does is seem to misfire when it wont rev any higher or does it just not go any higher.

He has no check engine light at all. his cats are hollowed. he checked fuel pressue with line on and off and it was fine. on the timing chain, he hasnt checked that yet. as for the turbo, i was at his house and heard it spool....he drove it in fron tof me...he claims it feels as if the car hit a wall and lost power after 2500 rpms... it wasn to shut off if e floors it. he didnt mention anything about a misfire.

Venom- I would actually need to know the mods. I recently ran into the same problem but my solution was taking fuel out of my TT chip. I basically was adding too much fuel. Just a thought. Brad

Is it just the motor that cuts out or does he lose electrical power to the whole car when it goes under load?

vac line on and off doesnt really test if fuel pressure is there when car is under a load or when in gear and engine falls off
but i think you might be haveing some module/coilpack issues
but i wouldnt say thats the only problem

i was having the same problems with mine a while back. my car would run fine for a while and then just cut-out and then come back without turning the key. we changed all the sensors and it was still happening. finally went through two modules and it finally stopped.

Mine's sputtering and bucking at part throttle/light to moderate load and smokes black under full throttle. Any thoughts. Just thought I'd chime in since alec296 was asking about the blck smoke thing.

A bad mass air, ignition module, O2 sensor or even bad gas can cause similar problems. He may have start with the process of elimination.

HTH

Prasad

His car is all stock, he just picked it up a few weeks ago, nothing done to it whatsoever except for the gutted cats. No race chip..... i gave him my extra computr and stock chip to try.. he told me it was a little better.... es telling me its like its hitting a rev limiter as he tries to rev past 2500 rpms.... if he floors it..the car cuts off.

hes already swapped the mass air, the 02 sensor was new when he got it..
it possible could be the coil like you guys say since that would be the only major thing left... hes telling me its gutless....

hes checked for vac leaks and found none.

My car is doing the same thing.. I cant even get mine to move if i baby it i can but it wants to die as soon as i get on the gas.. And then makes a sound in the intake not a back fire but something else. My car is also chipped so i will check the fuel pres. and see were it is at.. As far as my turbo and that it is stock but the motor has piston rods, ported heads intake, but it was running fine until this???

mine did the same thing awhile back, it was a clogged air filter. i had my buddy rev the car up and i could watch the intake tube smash together.

yep already thought of that to lol so took the k&n off washed it let it dry oiled it then put back together and same thing it was worth a try...

mine did the same thing awhile back, it was a clogged air filter. i had my buddy rev the car up and i could watch the intake tube smash together.

Check the simple (and "cheap to fix") things first. I would go with check Vacuum and Fuel pressure (check TPS voltage too) before I started with the expensive stuff. Just my 2 cents worth.:)

hmm

Ill let him borrow my coil its worth a try. as for the air filter, hes changed it with no luck.

vacuum gauge? we havent checked that yet...