84 GN value

Maddox Racing

Looking at buying my first GN and I'm trying to figure a value for one my buddy's mom has for sale. The car was bought new by her husband. He passed away 5 or 6 years ago and the car has been sitting since. It was running when parked and has been covered. It is a t-top car and I took both t-tops off and don't see any signs of rust. It does need paint, rear bumper, front and rear bumper fillers, drivers seat cover, carpet, and upper door panels, and headliner. I know its going to take some money but since its mainly cosmetic stuff I can atleast drive it while I work on it. It has 105k miles and shes asking $3,000. Is this too much or is it reasonable? Don't see many '84's for sale so its been hard for me to find a value for it.

Attachments

• 2011-02-26_16-46-03_363.jpg
    2011-02-26_16-46-03_363.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 2011-02-26_16-46-41_227.jpg
    2011-02-26_16-46-41_227.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 224
  • 2011-02-26_16-48-07_876.jpg
    2011-02-26_16-48-07_876.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 217
I bought mine for 6500 I got a built engine and trans already in it but it looked no where near as nice as that when I got it. I'd say for 3000 that's a good deal you also have to see what your max completed budget is and go from there because my 10000 show car concept flew out the window 8000 ago and still needs interior and paint and as weird as it sounds my car has been a money pit but I love it that much more. Key things to look out for are to check the vac. lines and all wiring for rodent damage, also check the rear frame rails behind the wheels. And if there is any help you need if I've been in your situation before, I can help.

What kind of power are you making with the mods you've made? I know its harder to make power with the hot air cars but I don't mind that. I'm not planning on taking it to the track. I just want a fast street car.

What kind of power are you making with the mods you've made? I know its harder to make power with the hot air cars but I don't mind that. I'm not planning on taking it to the track. I just want a fast street car.

Don't worry it will be fast enough with a little TLC. If your looking for instant gratification without some hard work then save your money and buy an 86-87.

I'll tell you with the old 3.8 and stock turbo, I had crank cam pistons and ported heads blew away mustangs all day everyday up here

When I went to their website I couldn't find a cold air kit for the '84. Is it something you have to call about?

It's the one with the scoop on the drivers side undercar spoiler, the fiberglass intake canister and the dryer vent looking tube in between

If you want to do the paint once, it will need stripped to bare metal. Around here $5k min. but will look better then new when done. The paint in 84 is enamel paint and if you don't go down to bare metal the new paint will turn to junk in less then 3yrs. I know this for a fact, then you'll still need to do it right and ends up costing more....
The seat skins are not cheap but, they are the most comfortable seats of any 84-87 GN. If you are a "wrencher" or do-it-yourself type of person, I would be all over it, tell her what all is wrong with the car and you probably will get it cheaper then $3k.
Myself, I would buy it pull the motor/tranny, take the car to the body shop, have them strip it down to bare metal, epoxy primer, primer, block sand, base coat, clear coat, with good quality stuff, not the cheap paint. While there working on the body, decide if you want to keep it hot air or convert it to Intercooled (I converted my car/ best thing I ever did to it). If you want to keep it hot air, go through the motor and at least replace the timing chain/gears/valve springs/seals/gaskets/rings/bearings. Then pull the fuel injectors and have them cleaned/replaced, if replaced get the chip in the ECM (computer) replaced to match the injector size.
I could go on and on but I'll stop here... you could just drive it also and hope for the best... don't know your situation. If you don't like to wrench, this probably is not the car for you, it needs some TLC.

Chuck

Well I bought it yesterday for $2,500. I think thats a pretty good deal. I'm excited. Plan on driving it as is for now and doing some cosmetic work first.Then I'll probably do as Chuck says and pull the motor and get it repainted. Going to take some time and try and decide whether I want to keep hot air or go intercooled. Don't really plan on taking it to the track. I have another car for that. Really just want it to be a decent fast and dependable car.

Check the "parts for sale" section of this website for some good deals on the parts you need. Congratulations on the 84GN !!!!!!

Chuck

Yeah up to you as far as the conversion idea, but I will say this if yours turns into a money pit like mine, staying hot air will still make you happy. This thing is amazing now and I haven't even hooked up the alky yet. Biggest thing I do want to tell you is, CONGRATS on the buy. You need anything pm or email me buickgn1@hotmail.com