84-85 -vs- 86-87

Dr. D

Has anyone changed their hot air that'll improve performance and whip an i/c brother?
What are the changes and what was the price?

Here we go. All it takes is $. There are no 7,8,9,10 sec hot airs, and when you intercool them, they run just like an 86/87.

There are many mods that can be done to improve performance. Start with basics like fuel system, then increase the boost, help it breath with full exhaust system inluding down pipe ect..., upgrade to a larger turbo, upgrade your electronics ect.. I can list a ton of other things so I'll just tell you to go to www.gnttype.org. There you'll find tons of info about the cars.

If you're talking about beating a BONE STOCK IC car it can be done pretty easily. Chip, K&N, 20psi boost, good tires, gutted catalytic convertor will put a hotair slightly ahead of a stock IC car.

boy do they get upset when they get busted by a hotair..
busted one up last week at the track and he had mods...:confused:

i made him curious when i pulled over by him because i put the same dial-in he had on his ,that got his attention then after we run i pulled back over beside him and he goes so did you win your round ? i just calmlly said no i freggin broke out.
he said what!! about that time his jaw was halfway to the ground so i gladly showed him my timeslip..:D
of course then he goes can i see your motor so i pulled the release and told him yea go ahead..im thinking that he wanted to see if i had an i/c motor in it..he was shocked as many are that look at it

i was heading home then so i told him id be back in too weeks ...then im putting my other motor in..he dont know its an i/c motor cant wait to see his face when i put like 10 cars on him...

btw: that was my 13:08 pass he went 13:33....:confused:

With some well chosen mods you can make an 84/5 TR REAL QUICK.....

My combo (see my sig) is absolutly insane on the street. 112mph in the 1/4 in near 400hp.... on pump gas...

Originally posted by TType85
With some well chosen mods you can make an 84/5 TR REAL QUICK.....

My combo (see my sig) is absolutly insane on the street. 112mph in the 1/4 in near 400hp.... on pump gas...

To contrast that, my 86 went 12.35@107 on 94 octane with 17lbs boost with a stock turbo/intercooler/long block/injector set up, and 12.22@113 with 20psi, 94 octane, PTE51, bluetops, chip for stock turbo (lean pop in 2nd). I was only going 85mph in the 1/8 because I had to let off in 2nd.

To contrast that, my 86 went 12.35@107 on 94 octane with 17lbs boost with a stock turbo/intercooler/long block/injector set up, and 12.22@113 with 20psi, 94 octane, PTE51, bluetops, chip for stock turbo (lean pop in 2nd). I was only going 85mph in the 1/8 because I had to let off in 2nd.

I dont see how you went 12.35@107 on 94 octane with 17lbs in an stock 86. :) My old 86GN was a VERY good running car and it would only muster high 12's @ 106 on 19psi with race gas and a 26° chip....

My car only went 85mph in the 1/8th also, but that was because I couldnt get on it till the 330 mark and still spun....