'84 3.8l hotair Riv engine/ project help

GN138

Hello,

I have a friend that is trying to undertake a new project. He just came across a hotair engine from an 84 Riv. It also came with a TH-250 tranny. He is wondering if this engine might work with a 700R4 or a 4L60E tranny he has laying around. If anyone knows if these parts may work together, please respond.

On the other hand, if this engine will not work, is the engine block, crank, other parts or heads of any use to me (87 GN)? If he can't use the parts he'll sell them to me.

Thanks!

Originally posted by GN138
Hello,

I have a friend that is trying to undertake a new project. He just came across a hotair engine from an 84 Riv. It also came with a TH-250 tranny. He is wondering if this engine might work with a 700R4 or a 4L60E tranny he has laying around. If anyone knows if these parts may work together, please respond.

On the other hand, if this engine will not work, is the engine block, crank, other parts or heads of any use to me (87 GN)? If he can't use the parts he'll sell them to me.

Thanks!
;)

It probablly will not work, but turbofish38 (eric fisher) in florida would know, he works a a gm dealership and has a coupe of turbo rivs.

The heads and crank are the same, but block is weaker casting.

Regards

Eric here, If it has the Riv trans with it that will be a THM 325-4L. The 700-R4 and 4L60E only used the Chevy and small composite(not B-O-P) bolt patterns so no they wont bolt on with out adapters. Sounds like you are looking for a tranny on a budget? Keep in mind that you might be better off to use a THM200-4R and invest in the right parts so you dont have to it rebuild later on.

Thanks for the info!

This is for a friend of mine. He bought the engine, not knowing exactly what it was. He assumed it was the same as mine, and has been trying to put together a 3.8l swap into his 4th gen Camaro (V-6). He has a 700R4 and the other tranny I mentioned laying around.

Now...let me get this straight...the heads and crank out of that engine are the same as my 87 GN casting? I may need to buy this from him.

Thanks again....

The block while not the same part# is not weaker than the 109 block. It needs a little cleanup in the valley area. It has no oil drainback hole for the turbo oil reutrn and it uses a 14 bolt oil pan. Rods are also the same.

84 riv

i believe the riv trans since it was optiona with a v8 those years is the regular b o p trans boltpattern so i would almost bet the farm on a 200r4 or t350 trans bolting up.i also dont remember a 3.8 fwd block in 84 so go for it andy..