83 TR engine parts questions

BuickGSBoy

I just got an 83 T-type engine and transmission that I was thinking of putting into an MGB I picked up. When I got it all I thought that the engine would be workable, unfortunately that is not the case, for now. The heads have a casting number of 25506293 and have the bridge in the water jacket, I am guessing this is the standard 83 turbo head. The turbo is junk, at some point the wheels came apart, I knew that at purchase time. The engine was complete with everything but the downpipe. That would have had to be custom anyway. The block had gotten water in it and needs a full rebuild. It's a shame because the bores that stayed dry are excellent. Possibly it will only need a light hone, I haven't pulled the crank out yet as it won't turn over. Is the crank the same on this car and the later efi cars? I've already been too long winded so...

Kevin

Kevin,

The cranks are the same. That sucks about your turbo. If the housings are intact (probably not), you can get a new cartridge off a ebay cheap. Your right about the downpipe, when I had my exhaust done, the guy had to make a new crossover too, because the old one wouldn't fit between the rails of a vega.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Hey Kevin let me know what you are missing or if you need any parts. I parted out an 83 last year and have some engine parts left. I also have a turbo from an 83 Riviera and the CHRA can be used to rebuild yours if the turbine and compressor housing weren't damaged. The turbo didn't smoke or anything but it has been setting for a couple of years so I dont know if it also might need to be rebuilt. And what I have left is going cheap so let me know. I would rather the stuff go to somebody who can use it than going to the trash can. turbofish38@hotmail.com Eric Fisher

I'm still in the process of sizing up the project, but as I do not have the computer or harnesses I am thinking MSD with the boost referencing for timing control and a non computer controlled carb. The bores are soaking full of WD-40 for now I am crossing my fingers that they will escape as useable.