83 T-Type w/85 configuration

Justa_v6

Ok so I am justabout done with my car and have a few questions before I proced to smog it.

Sorry computer was acting up and froze on me.

Will a LS1 MAF w/translator fail visual?
Will an ADJ. FP Regulator fail visual?
Will a larger downpipe fail visual? I believe it is slightly larger I am not sure what the original diameter was
I added an intercooler to the engine, will this fail inspection?

Oh by the way I live in So Cal, LA Area.

I don't see why any of these would matter, but then again I'm not familiar with any smog laws living out here in the rust belt. I wouldn't think the maf would be a problem. You are correcting a common failure part that could easily cause emmission and driveability problems. FPR, I guess that depends who is pissed off that day, but I would have the fp set at stock pressure. I would think the larger downpipe and intercooler would make the engine run more efficient thus less emmissions.

That's what I thought but like you said you never know who is pissed off that day. Thanks

Any more opinions are welcomed.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I also told if my car with 85 drivetrain produces less emissions than an 83 carbureted original engine it is acceptable even though I have some aftermarket parts. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Would the MAF translator need a CARB# since it is aftermarket?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

First of all, what you have done -- converting from '83 to '85 -- qualifies as an engine change. That means you have to take it to a referee to get it certified, otherwise you'll flunk for having the wrong motor in your car. Your car is VIN 8, your motor is VIN 9. A referee has to apply a sticker indicating that your car is now VIN 9. A referee is likely to be tougher to get things past than a smog tech at a station. And yes, everything you list should flunk inspection because it violates the VIN 9 configuration.

You can find all of this out and more than you ever wanted to, at the wonderful :mad: BAR website (Bureau of Auto Repair). They also have (or had when I last checked) a phone number for inquiries about engine changes, which can be laughably un-helpful.

I also told if my car with 85 drivetrain produces less emissions than an 83 carbureted original engine it is acceptable even though I have some aftermarket parts. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Total BS. I mean, that's usually the way it SHOULD be, but NEVER the way it is.

Would the MAF translator need a CARB# since it is aftermarket?

Yes.

But wait a minute -- doesn't that MAF translator only work with the '86-'87 VIN 7 ECM? Do you also have the VIN 7 ECM installed? That won't work either, unless you have some kind of bogus chip installed in the ECM claiming that it's VIN 9 -- even if you remove all that other stuff.

Forgot to mention I converted the ECM to 86-87 so I would be able to use the updated ignition module and coil. The chip it has in it now is a stock 87 ECM chip. So I have a

86-87
Ignition
ECM
TA-49 Turbo (which looks factory)
Intercooler

I also have all other factory emission components available for the 85 configuration.
1.EGR W/all the proper connections
2.Charcoal canister and associated connections
3.Catalytic converter
4.Heater hose that run through the throttle body
5. PCV

If the referee happens to be ignorant enough, you might be able to convince him it's a stock '87 VIN 7 motor .... :D

Smog techs get busted all the time down there, don't know about referees.