82 Turbo Regal options

Silversixspeed

I'll be attending Hawkeye Community College starting in January, and am looking for a cheaper project car to use in class. I found an '82 Turbo Regal, rust free, good motor/tranny, decent shape, just leaks oil from the oil pan and/or rear main. He was asking $1500, but I got him down to $1000.

Right now I'm just trying to do a little research on the car, before purchasing, to get an idea of what I'd be getting into. This is where my questions begin.

What are the usual first performance mods for these cars? I assume bolt ons? Stall? Anything with upgrading the turbo setup?
How well do these motors do with nitrous? What are the stock limitations on, say, the bottom end, the tranny, rearend, etc, as far as horsepower goes?

This car will be intended for 1/4 mile. I'm just trying to get a realistic idea of what a low budget would accomplish on these cars.

Thanks for any info provided!

Cars MIGHT be a low 16 stock if it's all up to snuff. The 82 does have the better turbo for these style engines. Don't know about the rear gears and all that. The shortblock is probably the best thing about the car-they can take the power. But they dont' like abuse- as in detonation. With these style of turbo buicks you have to be creative and make most of your own performance stuff, well the stuff that makes a difference anyway. Check out the BEFORE BLACK website in the STICKY. You can get into the 14s on the stock shortblock, that's been proven. You can't add an intercooler and there are no off the shelf intakes, plenums, turbos, etc that you can get. GOtta work with what you have.

Get the following:

Boost gauge
Knock gauge (or cheap scan tool)

Then go from there. Get rid of any knocking, then add boost. Do the normal things to reduce knock. Lower thermostat, cooler air, more fuel, etc.

Look at my link in my signature for my 83 Turbo Regal. The '82 is pretty much the same. A DIY water injection is by far the biggest bang for buck.