82 sport coupe starving fuel

blacknight80

Hi all!

My 82 is starved of fuel when I attempt to start it. I can dump fuel into the carb and it will fire for a short while and it dies again. The carb will remain bone dry and I cannot flood it no matter how many times I pump. I removed the fuel filter and it seems to resolve the issue. I replaced the fuel pump thinking I had low fuel pressure. I really thought I was on to something because the old pump would allow the fuel line between the pump and carb to drain (the new one holds the fuel right to the carb). I reinstalled the filter with the new pump and it is starved once again. Carb is drier than a popcorn fart. Remove the filter and it's good again. When it's running the carb is doggy and bogs easy. Average issues with a carb that needs a tune up.

Thanks

Cody

Did you change the filter? I have had these exact symptoms on my k10 pickup before(quadrajet) the filter's check valve was sticking, starving the engine of fuel.

That was the first thing I thought. I have done dumb things like that haha but unfortunately my stupidity isn't to blame this time. The little rubber seems to move freely. I'm baffled.

And the filter is brand new fram unit. And it's a long filter so that should allow more fuel through than the shorty.....right?

And the filter is brand new fram unit. And it's a long filter so that should allow more fuel through than the shorty.....right?
Don't ever use a fram filter on your car. Do yourself a favor and get a different filter, believe me.

Yup spring is in it. I will licks up a Delco but I still don't get why it would not allow fuel through. I am going to check the fuel pressure but a new pump should have fixed that issue up. The fuel like has been bent right near the fitting to the carb so I will get some line and bend a new one up and see if that resolves anything.....doubt it lol

There's a piece of fuel hose at the rear of the car that may have dry rotted. I've seen it before on old cars. If the pump is working then it will pull fuel. It's also possible it's got a blockage. Check the entire fuel line.

When I take the line off of the carb there's is all kinds of fuel coming out when I crank the engine so I don't think blockage would be an issue would it?

Well I fiddled with the filter and the check ball jams itself. I attempted to blow through it and I was turning blue and nothing. So I pushed the check ball in with a screwdriver and broke it loose and wouldn't you know I had flow. I will be tossing the filter out even though it's new. I have one coming with my carb kit for cliffs performance.

Thanks guys

I have been racking my brain and used the b4b site and I think this car has an earlier intake manifold on it. This is getting interesting and maybe a little frightening. I am starting to wonder if the whole motor is out of an older car.

The other clue is if the water outlet is mounted to the top of the intake and points straight up or is facing forward and at an angle.

Is this going to muck with my ability to connect everything to my ECM. The carb and turbo is off of an 82 and I would like to have it functioning. What should my plan of attack be. It's definitely an 80 cause the knock sensor is at the back of the block. I am going to have a better look but I don't see a 02 anywhere. This thing is turning out to be a bastardized mess

Thanks guys

Can I just tie the two temp sensors leads from my 82 harness together and plug it up to the one temp sensor beside the thermostat housing. One is the spade type and the other one is a round strange looking deal.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389539059.613176.jpg

Will the sensor give a good enough reading for the ECM and/or the gauge?

I am going to get a welding shop to put a bung in the up pipe so I can install the o2 sensor. I think it will be safer then trying to tap into the manifold.