82 Grand National, IT'S ON FINALLY!!!

Engine info

Well I finally got around to taking the engine partially down today. It does have 2 dot rods and it is the correct block at least. As far as the rest I'm not sure what I can use. The block was bored .060 over and it has a standard cast crank turned .010, 0.010. I was hoping that it would have the correct crank but so much for that. I have 2 rolled filet cranks right now so at least I can have the correct one in it. The pistons are cast and sit .1025 in the hole so they need to go away. With the head gasket thickness that was on the head that would mean the total would've been .1475 in the hole and that's WAY to much for safety. Have any of you guys run a .060 block with forged pistons before? :confused:
The also used some sort of nasty sticky goo as a sealant for the head bolts and timing cover. It's all over the front of the block so I guess I'll be vating it to get the stuff off. It does seem to have an actual GM timing cover which is a good thing so I'll be doing Earls timing cover mods for better control of the oil as well as doing the block. They used the stock plastic cam bumper so I need a roller button and the rockers and pushrods are new which is a plus. That's about all I can tink of right now so if you guys have any sugestions I'm open. I may just have to do the 4.1 engine after all.:(

Attachments

• DSCN0001.JPG
    DSCN0001.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 4,228
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 4,241
  • DSCN0003.JPG
    DSCN0003.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 4,237
LOL Keith, I think it's time for you to watch what happens.:eek: Here's some of the 83 that I was going to do but it doesn't show how bad it really is. I didn't feel like opening the trunk in the heat today so it only shows some of the damage.:eek:

Yikes!! That one must have had the G81 vented quarter panel option.:eek: I think it was a dealer installed option....not a rare option though.:rolleyes: :biggrin: Good luck!!:biggrin:

LOL Keith, what're you doing up that early on th 4th? I got up just a little while ago myself. Spent til 1am cooking and now I have to start again.
HAVE A HAPPY AND SAFE 4TH GUYS AND GIRLS!!

oh yea 100 bucks plus shipping would be a good price

lol Edo, since you're in the buisiness as well do you know of anyone that does sonic block testing in the DFW area? I also found the attachment to make your presure washer into a sand/water blaster. $108 plus shipping and I have a friend that might just get it so we can use it for a bunch of projects we have around here.:biggrin:
Sandblaster, Sand Blaster
This is a good thing for sure. I sent some emails to a few of the guys here as well as Mr Kirban. Maybe he'll look into putting it on his site for the rest of us.:biggrin:

LOL Keith, what're you doing up that early on th 4th? I got up just a little while ago myself. Spent til 1am cooking and now I have to start again.
HAVE A HAPPY AND SAFE 4TH GUYS AND GIRLS!!

I was just waitin for the charcoal to get ready in my smoker so I could throw the brisket on. :biggrin: :biggrin: Just threw the two racks of ribs on a few minutes ago too....DAMN I'm hungry!!:biggrin: Have a great 4th yourself!!!!;)

Oh yeah...my car had the G81 option as well. I believe Jesse's had it too!!! :)

lol Edo, since you're in the buisiness as well do you know of anyone that does sonic block testing in the DFW area? I also found the attachment to make your presure washer into a sand/water blaster. $108 plus shipping and I have a friend that might just get it so we can use it for a bunch of projects we have around here.:biggrin:
Sandblaster, Sand Blaster
This is a good thing for sure. I sent some emails to a few of the guys here as well as Mr Kirban. Maybe he'll look into putting it on his site for the rest of us.:biggrin:

Of the top of my head I would say dfw automotive they do some great work on our vw's I'll give then a call Monday when there open I'll let you know Charlie that sand blaster conversion sounds like a great idea too bad I don't have a pressure washer I know harbor has some sand blasters too there about the same price as that conversion kit

Love the restomod idea--when 82grandbeast first posted to the board about this car I told him I'd love to have one someday to put an '87 drivetrain in, and I'd probably also graft in an '84-'87 turbo hood bulge (or just use a hood from one of those cars if it would fit). Other than that, I would want everything else to be pure '82 GN. Paint, striping, interior, etc. Does this sound anything like what you have planned for it?

I was just waitin for the charcoal to get ready in my smoker so I could throw the brisket on. :biggrin: :biggrin: Just threw the two racks of ribs on a few minutes ago too....DAMN I'm hungry!!:biggrin: Have a great 4th yourself!!!!;)

Oh yeah...my car had the G81 option as well. I believe Jesse's had it too!!! :)

I haven't eaten so much in a LONG time. Everything was fantastic for sure. I ate 1 complete rack all by myself along with everything else.:eek: I have a feeling that there's a bunch of cars running around whith the dredded G81 option.:biggrin:

Of the top of my head I would say dfw automotive they do some great work on our vw's I'll give then a call Monday when there open I'll let you know Charlie that sand blaster conversion sounds like a great idea too bad I don't have a pressure washer I know harbor has some sand blasters too there about the same price as that conversion kit

That would be great Edo, thanks again. If I can't use the 3.8 the 4.1 will have to be checked and I guess the big boy will have to be used. I wanted to wait on it but...

Love the restomod idea--when 82grandbeast first posted to the board about this car I told him I'd love to have one someday to put an '87 drivetrain in, and I'd probably also graft in an '84-'87 turbo hood bulge (or just use a hood from one of those cars if it would fit). Other than that, I would want everything else to be pure '82 GN. Paint, striping, interior, etc. Does this sound anything like what you have planned for it?

I'm planning on using the factory carb/turbo set up with a few twists on the "normal" set up. I doubt any one's ever done one like I'm planning.:biggrin: As far as the paint skeem I'm planning on going with the stock colors and adding just a few accessories. I have the hood on the 83 so it will be trans planted for the bulge and I will be looking at a front spoiler and maybe a slightly different rear. That will have to be mocked up and molded by me. Done it before so it's not to hard.

definetly not what i had in mind i wanted a 383 and paint the exterior flat black with flat black rims and black and graphite interior it would have been one of a kind. but good thing charlie got it cant wait to see how it comes out

I always thought having the trunk spoiler molded in would look cool

I'm thinking a little higher and further back would look really nice. Since the original one has some cracks in it I shouldn't have too much of a problem doing it after all

Of the top of my head I would say dfw automotive they do some great work on our vw's I'll give then a call Monday when there open I'll let you know Charlie

Did you get a chance to call them Edo? If not PM me with their number and I'll call them sometime this week. Thanks.

I never knew that the 62 had the 78 looking dash it it.

I had a 78 Sport Coupe years ago and didn't realize what I had. This is my one that got away.

definetly not what i had in mind i wanted a 383 and paint the exterior flat black with flat black rims and black and graphite interior it would have been one of a kind. but good thing charlie got it cant wait to see how it comes out

I was actually wondering what charlief1's plans were. I'm absolutely not trying to diss you at all, as everybody is entitled to their opinions, but I'm so glad this car did not get a Chevy engine. I hate seeing that happen to Buicks. Whenever I see this, I think "why not just start with a Monte Carlo"? At least with a Monte a 383 would be an improvement. When done to a Buick, much of what makes them unique and special is lost. Sorry to say, but GNX #020 is absolutely dead to me because of what happened to it. It is now a very trick-looking Monte Carlo with fender flares and vents. I know some people wouldn't like my idea of the '87 Buick drivetrain in an '82 Grand National, which is fine--they're only opinions anyway, just like my ideas are only opinions. But I'm sure many at least like the idea of keeping it Buick. A 455 would be cool in an '82 GN too. No matter what powerplant I would choose, I would have to keep the '82 GN paint scheme, even if I couldn't find an '82 GN interior (doubtful since there were only 211 of these cars to begin with) and had to go with a later GN or T Type interior. Otherwise for all anybody knows you started the build with a base Regal. At least the '82 GN paint scheme would get some questions asked and conversations rolling, and the original look of this rare car would be preserved. Again, sorry if my ideas offended you, but I have a soft spot for '82 GNs. If I would have had a way to get that car up here to Ohio, a place to keep it, and the extra money to take on a project like this I would have in a heartbeat.

Charlie just loves cars. Great project.

I want to do a regal with a 455. the problem with that is I would have to put 16 mufflers on it so it is as quiet as the GN. This would drastically reduce ET's.:biggrin:

I was actually wondering what charlief1's plans were. I'm absolutely not trying to diss you at all, as everybody is entitled to their opinions, but I'm so glad this car did not get a Chevy engine. I hate seeing that happen to Buicks. Whenever I see this, I think "why not just start with a Monte Carlo"? At least with a Monte a 383 would be an improvement. When done to a Buick, much of what makes them unique and special is lost. Sorry to say, but GNX #020 is absolutely dead to me because of what happened to it. It is now a very trick-looking Monte Carlo with fender flares and vents. I know some people wouldn't like my idea of the '87 Buick drivetrain in an '82 Grand National, which is fine--they're only opinions anyway, just like my ideas are only opinions. But I'm sure many at least like the idea of keeping it Buick. A 455 would be cool in an '82 GN too. No matter what powerplant I would choose, I would have to keep the '82 GN paint scheme, even if I couldn't find an '82 GN interior (doubtful since there were only 211 of these cars to begin with) and had to go with a later GN or T Type interior. Otherwise for all anybody knows you started the build with a base Regal. At least the '82 GN paint scheme would get some questions asked and conversations rolling, and the original look of this rare car would be preserved. Again, sorry if my ideas offended you, but I have a soft spot for '82 GNs. If I would have had a way to get that car up here to Ohio, a place to keep it, and the extra money to take on a project like this I would have in a heartbeat.

What happened to GNX #020? I've never heard about it. Please tell me more.:confused:

Charlie just loves cars. Great project.

I want to do a regal with a 455. the problem with that is I would have to put 16 mufflers on it so it is as quiet as the GN. This would drastically reduce ET's.:biggrin:

Got a spare 83 NA Dan as well as a complete 455 and tranny if you want.:biggrin: They're not loud unless you don't wear ear plugs.:eek: