82 Grand National, IT'S ON FINALLY!!!

charlief1

RIP Charlie!
As some of you know I just got my 82 GN from 82grandbeast in Fort Worth. She's home now and after a couple of days I finally got out in the heat to get a better look at her and it doesn't look to bad. I'm sorry guys but it won't be a true restoration it's going to be a resto-mod car. She started life with a 4.1 in her and it may go back in but for now it will be a 3.8 carb/turbo set up I have been working on.
I already have my plan in mind so don't try to talk me out of it, it won't work. I have a complete 83 T Type that was going to take a lot of work to make it drivable so it's now my parts car. After I get what I need of the 83 parts will be sold off to help with expenses as well as get some more parts out there for the rest of you so you can put what you need for your toys.
The plan as it stands is the frame of the 83 will go under the 82 so I have the 2004r as well as the 3.42 posi rear. Granted it's a 7.5" rear but for now it's enough. I do have an A body rear that might go under her later but the main point is to get as much together as quickly as possilbe. Since the 82 has t tops I will be boxing the frame for more stregnth so the chasis flex is less. It will only qualify for bracket racing instead of a "stock" class but as it stands there is no calss the car can run in right now.:mad:
The rebuilt engine will be torn down this week so I can see if the rebuilder did it right or not. From what I've seen so far it looks good but I haven't taken it apart yet so we'll see. The cam I've chosen is a 204/214 grind and I have brand new KB 1.6 rockers as well. I've got 1 good turbo, 1 that needs rebuilding, and 1 that I'm modding for better boost. I'll start with the stock one for now so I have a better idea of what mods I'll have to do when I put the bigger one on.:biggrin:
Here's some of the pics I have so far. She is better than I thought since it has the dreaded t tops. I haven't taken the frame out to check underneith but I put my fingers up in some of the holes to see how it feels and there's very little damage, but I'll know for sure when the brace comes out.There is some rust holes in the passenger floorboard but none of them are any bigger than the eraser on a pencle. compaired to the 83 I have a LOT less work to do, thank God. :biggrin:

Attachments

• 82 GN.JPG
    82 GN.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 4,844
  • 82 GN a.JPG
    82 GN a.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 4,808
  • 82 GN b.JPG
    82 GN b.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 4,829
  • 82 GN c.JPG
    82 GN c.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 4,842
  • 82 gn d.jpg
    82 gn d.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 4,802
More

More of the car. Opinions are welcome.:biggrin:

Attachments

• 82 GN e.JPG
    82 GN e.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 4,743
  • 82 GN f.JPG
    82 GN f.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 4,731
  • 82 GN g.JPG
    82 GN g.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 4,707
  • 82 GN h.JPG
    82 GN h.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 4,730
  • 82 GN j.JPG
    82 GN j.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 4,685
don't worry about that 7.5 rear, it should hold up fine with a girdle. Look at it this way, the ls1 fbodies have them-no reason it should gernade right away

don't worry about that 7.5 rear, it should hold up fine with a girdle. Look at it this way, the ls1 fbodies have them-no reason it should gernade right away

It will hold up for a while I know but I have the back up just in case. I had a friend look at the floor a little closer tonight and I may be replacing some of it instead of just welding up some tiny holes.:mad: Thank God I have the 83 for sure.:eek: I'll see if I can wire brush it tomorow and get a better idea of what it's gonna take to fix it. Keep you guys updated in the next few days.:biggrin:

Nice find Charlie

Is it a column shift car? It has the gear indicator in the instrument panel. My 83 was not like that. Fill me in...

Way to go!!!!!!

Something different to look at. I like the resto mod deal.

Not sure but maybe - I think the 83 frame may be stronger for the tranny?

Selfish side note for me - If you are looking for a 82 Sport Coupe(T) rustfree frame I have one. Also brandy new but dusty floor pans available - I am not planning to use.

Keep the pics coming.
Bob

mine was in worse shape, you should be able to get this one goin no problem

good luck

Is it a column shift car? It has the gear indicator in the instrument panel. My 83 was not like that. Fill me in...

The car has a floor shifter and I didn't notice the shift indicator until you said something. I wonder if I can find one for the 4 speed to replace the 3 speed one?

Something different to look at. I like the resto mod deal.

Not sure but maybe - I think the 83 frame may be stronger for the tranny?

Selfish side note for me - If you are looking for a 82 Sport Coupe(T) rustfree frame I have one. Also brandy new but dusty floor pans available - I am not planning to use.

Keep the pics coming.
Bob

Thanks Bob. The only diffs I have notices between the two right now is the tranny mount for the 4 speed so I don't think it is much stronger if at all. I have the 83 and her floors are good so I should be ok unless I find something else.

mine was in worse shape, you should be able to get this one goin no problem

good luck

I'll post some of the 83 so you can see why I'm so happy about having this one. Just to get the rear quarters fixed I'd have to take the frame off. It's back is that bad.:eek:
Since it's the weekend of the 4th I'm preparing to cook most of the night on Friday so things will be a little slow for the next week. My buddy and I have planned out a nice little feast for the grown ups. Pork short ribs and a very nice pork loin mainated in a very special way. Dan has an idea of what that is. I'll also be clearing out my freezer and cooking T-bones as well as chicken and turkey so I won't have to cook all week. I might be able to get some work done on her but as it stands it's taken me 2 hours each night after work just to prepair for this weekend. Gonna be good.:biggrin:

Nice score!! I've said it before, '81-'83....the BEST looking Regal made....period.

Subscribed!:D

She started life with a 4.1 in her and it may go back in

Charlie:

Check the head bolt hole to cylinder wall deck surfaces for cracks. When Dustin had the car at Venus; the 4.1 block he had was cracked. I couldn’t make room for the car; so it wasn’t a big deal to me.

Good luck,

Joe

Charlie:

Check the head bolt hole to cylinder wall deck surfaces for cracks. When Dustin had the car at Venus; the 4.1 block he had was cracked. I couldn’t make room for the car; so it wasn’t a big deal to me.

Good luck,

Joe

I was planning on the 4.1 for the 83 to begin with and it's partially preped but since I got the 3.8 I'm starting with it for now. The build for the 4.1 was gonna take a while as well as some money to get her done. Already did the crack check on it and just needed to have it sonic checked.

Charlie:

Good luck,

Joe

yea i noticed that with the orginal motor charlie thats why i threw it out.

see your making great progress with it charlie keeps us informed

yea i noticed that with the orginal motor charlie thats why i threw it out.

see your making great progress with it charlie keeps us informed

Edo, I wish you hadn't done that. The cranks are the same for the turbo as well as the rods. The heads are usually good 2 even if they are cracked.:eek: I'll be cooking Friday and everything is set on that for now so...I might get to power brush her floor this weekend and see what needs to be done.
When I get ready to take the frame off the 83 I'll call and see if you want to help. Gonna have a fork lift to help so it shouldn't be to bad.:biggrin: We'll see how this weekend goes.:rolleyes:

Edo, I wish you hadn't done that. The cranks are the same for the turbo as well as the rods. The heads are usually good 2 even if they are cracked.:eek: I'll be cooking Friday and everything is set on that for now so...I might get to power brush her floor this weekend and see what needs to be done.
When I get ready to take the frame off the 83 I'll call and see if you want to help. Gonna have a fork lift to help so it shouldn't be to bad.:biggrin: We'll see how this weekend goes.:rolleyes:

No proplem Charlie I'm off this weekend u have my number. Yea I didn't really think of saving any off those parts after I got the 3.8 the 4.1 want to the trash it had also spun a main bearing on the 4.1 and crank was beat up it could have probly been grinded down and refinished

Well I ended up with the morning off so I went and power brushed the floor to see what it would take. I'm gonna have to make some patch pannels for 2 locations. Not as good as I hoped but not as bad as it could be. Some of the metal is really thin and the holes got a lot bigger. I'll start getting the interior out of the 83 this weekend so I can cut the floor out. Nothing bigger than 2.5" square so it shouldn't be a problem but we'll see.

Need to see some detailed pics of EVERYTHING!!!! ......................SUBSCRIBED!!;) :biggrin:

Need to see some detailed pics of EVERYTHING!!!! ......................SUBSCRIBED!!;) :biggrin:

LOL Keith, I think it's time for you to watch what happens.:eek: Here's some of the 83 that I was going to do but it doesn't show how bad it really is. I didn't feel like opening the trunk in the heat today so it only shows some of the damage.:eek:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 4,362
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 4,337
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,342