79 LeSabre Sport Coupe

Silver 6

Combustion Engine Addict
About two years ago I saw this LeSabre coupe sitting beside a small airport and I left a business card stuck in the window with a message that I liked the old Turbo Buicks.

About two weeks ago I get a call on my cell from the owner. He had kept my card taped to his desk for two years and called to give me the car. His father-in-law was a dealer and gave the car to them in 79. His wife drove it for years until it became pretty worn and then they just parked it at the local airport near me to drive when they fly into town about once a month.

He says he believes the turbo has locked up. It runs rough and will not build boost enough to light the lights. With the long sit times and short drive times, he could be right. I'll bet it hasn't seen an oil change in a long time. I would also bet it is the original turbo.

It is a totally original 97K one owner car. It has a lot of neat options like cornering lights, auto leveling rear suspension, space saver spare with original inflation canister, power locks, windows, and antenna. I like the display pannel on the top of the dash below the windshield. It is almost like an early heads-up display for indicator lights. And the old quarz dial clock keeps perfect time. It is white with red cloth split bench inside and has the chrome road wheels.

These were the hotrod big "B" bodies long before the Impala SS came along. It has sport suspension with large sway bars, quick ratio steering, the 8 1/2" rear, and the big brakes from the wagon.

I will need to do a lot of restoration, but it is complete and a solid car overall. Now I am looking for a place to store it for the winter. We've had snow showers already.

Moral of the story is to put your cards on a car when you see one. You just don't know what could happen. Nothing, get a car, or just meet someone new who likes these cars too.

Cool story, neat car. :) I drove a '78 LeSabre SC before. The big car, turbo V6 combo works well. White and red is awesome.

I wish they later cars had the cool interiors of the earlier cars. Brown, burgandy, grays are boring compared to blue, red and white.

I have been doing some looking for upgrades for the older "B" bodies and there is a ton of stuff out there. Thanks to the Chevy 9C1 police package and the SS there is a huge selection of suspension parts. An example is a lower rear control arm package upgrade from GM for about $50 complete with hardware...and both arms with firmer bushings. The 9C1 steering boxes are the 12:1 ratio like the "F" bodies. All kinds of fluid coolers. For a "compiler" of information, this car is already a lot of fun.

http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/images/7879lesabre.JPG

The white car in this picture has factory four-wheel disc brakes. :eek:

I would have never guessed they shared the same suspension as the Impala SS. That's 16+ years apart.

I missed getting a low mileage '78 one time for dirt cheap. The ad said V6, but didn't mention the Turbo. By the time I called, someone got a great deal. :mad: :(

My 79 Regal is still back in VA and I can't look at it next to my 79 LeSabre, but some things look different.

The downpipe looked bigger. I measured it at a true 2 1/2" and the bends seem smoother too. It doesn't seem to be flattened as much on the bends. I checked the parts manual and it looks like they have different listings. The A bodies are shown and the B Bodies are not. All the rest of the pipes are there except that one listing.

I got the car home with some luck. I believe the turbo is stuck due to low oil pressure. When I first pulled the dip stick it showed dry. I added three quarts to bring it to full. I started it with fingers crossed. It runs smooth and has no knock or ticks. I got real lucky. But there is no spooling to be had.

I read the service manual for the 79 and then the one for the 83s. It looks like a simple job to just swap out the center section with the compressor side left on the intake. I just need a good replacement.

This car has changed a lot of my plans. It needs quite a bit of restoration, but it is all original. This will make a great cruiser and now I can look at my 87 to get a bit more wild. I was always reluctant to change much on it because it was my all around car. The plans have started.