70mm Turbo

Some members helped me identify my turbo on my T-Type that I bought. It is a Garrett 70mm. I have a 10" converter in car now but it is was too tight (2600). I am going to order a new 9.5" converter but was wondering what else should I add to my motor in order to use this turbo? I am ordering a 3600 stall from Edge Racing. I ran a higher one than that in my Mustang that they built. I drove it everyday with a t-brake and nitrous launches at track. My car is not a daily driver and pretty much just track and Sunday cruise once a month. The below are some supporting items on car now:
Custom TT chip (2).........one for 70mm turbo and one for stock turbo
Alky kit
Manual Boost controller
Heavy Duty Trans cooler
Art Carr deep pan
3" Down Pipe
3" exhaust
aftermarket headers
Powerstroke Intercooler
Power Master
60LB Injectors

Anything else? I decided not to sell this one and go smaller since I already have it. I know me and will wish I went bigger later. Thanks for any advice.

If your long block is stock you should get a smaller turbo.
What are your MPH and or HP goals?

You would be happier with that turbo if you had ported heads and a larger cam. I'ld try a TE44. That is a better match for your current setup. Make sure you have a scanmaster too.

You need about $5-7k worth of supporting parts/labor to get anything worthwhile out of that turbo and have it all last. Heads, cam, trans, axles, driveshaft, and tune.

You need about $5-7k worth of supporting parts/labor to get anything worthwhile out of that turbo and have it all last. Heads, cam, trans, axles, driveshaft, and tune.

Wow! Smaller Turbo is looking like a better plan then. I have two stock turbos that work fine but I will look into the 44. Read a lot of good stuff on here about it.

Precision just released the 5831 MFS.
This is basically a 44 with a budget billet compressor.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbo...ails/Entry-Level-Turbocharger----5831-MFS/492

You may want to consider that.
Precision just released the 5831 MFS.
This is basically a 44 with a budget billet compressor.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbo...ails/Entry-Level-Turbocharger----5831-MFS/492

You may want to consider that.
That is a very strange combination of wheels especially since the old to4E 60 will out run the 31 trim. If thats the same wheel that is in the 5857 we already know what that can do via Holly's Mustang. I dont see it happening with that little turbine though. The difference in how that 31 turbine lights off compared to other stuff out there like the T350 or any of the larger p trim stuff is not even comparable. The Precision 5857 is a good combination of wheels.

With so many options to choose from, what is the largest turbo that could be ran with a stock motor? I have an external 255 pump and scanmaster also. Anyone want a 70mm for something smaller?

That is a very strange combination of wheels especially since the old to4E 60 will out run the 31 trim. If thats the same wheel that is in the 5857 we already know what that can do vial Holly's Mustang. I dont see it happening with that little turbine though. The difference in how that 31 turbine lights off compared to other stuff out there like the T350 or any of the larger p trim stuff is not even comparable. The Precision 5857 is a good combination of wheels.

Brian,

The MFS wheels are different then the CEA.
They were designed as more of an OEM replacement and should be similar in performance to the traditional non billet Garrett stuff we had before.

Brian,

They were designed as more of an OEM replacement and should be similar in performance to the traditional non billet Garrett stuff we had before.
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks John

With so many options to choose from, what is the largest turbo that could be ran with a stock motor? I have an external 255 pump and scanmaster also. Anyone want a 70mm for something smaller?
You need to figure out what you really want to do here. You need to have everything working together if you want to have a
good running car. Running larger items than necessary will turn it into a not fun to drive turd. If you want an 11.50 car buy 11.50 parts. If you want a 10.80 car you buy parts to go 10.80 then dial it in. If you can't drop a lot of $ on supporting parts at once to go as fast as you may want to then you should reevaluate and maybe look a a more conservative goal. If you don't your car will not be fun to drive and will not e.t. well

You need to figure out what you really want to do here. You need to have everything working together if you want to have a
good running car. Running larger items than necessary will turn it into a not fun to drive turd. If you want an 11.50 car buy 11.50 parts. If you want a 10.80 car you buy parts to go 10.80 then dial it in. If you can't drop a lot of $ on supporting parts at once to go as fast as you may want to then you should reevaluate and maybe look a a more conservative goal. If you don't your car will not be fun to drive and will not e.t. well

Easy, the motor now has maybe 1K miles on it but stock rebuild. I do not want to blow it up just to rebuild it stronger right now since it is new. I would like to use what I have now or resell for the right ones. I already plan on a converter and awaiting a return call from PTC right now since they had a better quote for what I was looking for over Edge. I have three good Turbos sitting here and do not want to totally rebuild a car just to use the bigger one to get it to work. Ideally, I would like to slap on a turbo (whichever) with my current supporting parts and go into the 6s in the 1/8th. Heck 6.99 will work, lol. We run 1/8th here so that is a high 10 sec pass in 1/4 mile. I have read about people on this very site doing that or very close to it with less. I have no issues pulling the heads or even camshaft upgrades. Would not be my first rodeo. Only first with a Buick. I will not pay labor so that will keep the cost down. I will be sitting over in the Middle East again in a few months again (Active Duty) so I would hate to have the car down before I leave getting a ton of work done just to use the 70mm. I am sure it can be done (6.9s) with something smaller then. Just looking for advice. Thanks so far.

Like i said earlier i was told same thing. What i figured i would do is buy all supporting mods first, then build a turbo that would work well with them. If you look around there is a post by bison where he went 10.6x on a relatively simple setup. You may want to read that a few times. There is also a thread on what an 11 Sec buildup would be, and then there are always the recepies on gnttype.org

Cheers

i went 7.0 at 98+mph with a ta49,motor was stock exept for a mild port stock head.it wasnt easy to do at full weight.the 70 is a 9 sec wheel with supporting mods and you are heading into the money pit aspect of the game now.the 44 is a great turbo on a stock motor with octane and can be a great street car without the high dollar mods,you need to drop your 6.99 goals a little to say 7.4 range.you must weigh the time to build the car up to the time you have before you leave for duty and the dollars spent for 4 tenths of a second.i wouldnt even think of throwing on that 70 unless i was going to build a track only car and had the time a $.the stock turbo with a meth kit will run 30 psi of boost and can also run mid to low 7's in the 1/8

Brian,

To expand upon what John stated, some of the units in our Entry Level line of turbochargers are available with our MFS compressor wheels, such as the 5831. The compressor wheels used in this line are designed to be an upgrade replacement for the cast compressor wheel units, and have the ability to make more power than their cast counterparts. So, the Entry Level 5831 is designed to be an upgrade replacement for the 4431E unit.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

To expand upon what John stated, some of the units in our Entry Level line of turbochargers are available with our MFS compressor wheels, such as the 5831. The compressor wheels used in this line are designed to be an upgrade replacement for the cast compressor wheel units, and have the ability to make more power than their cast counterparts. So, the Entry Level 5831 is designed to be an upgrade replacement for the 4431E unit.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Thanks Pete, I was trying to be helpful.
Whether or not I am successful is up to my peers. o_O