700r4 problem

WE4 WARRIOR

any ideas whats wrong with my ty trans. i can drive it about a 1/4 mile, then the trans stops working. i can rev the heck out of it but it won't move. if i shut truck off for about 5 minutes and restart it, i can drive it again for another 1/4 mile then no go again. while i am reving the engine i can smell trans fluid, but there are no leaks. help. thank all.

Filter is clogged. Change fluid and filter.

Hot Damn

pulled trans pan today. filter was hanging at an angle. put new filter and fluid in. truck is driving fine now. thanks bison. i changed the filter back in march, must not have gotten it in good enough. putting the new filter today... had some problems. it just wouldn't lock in. finally got it to go in by slipping it in on an angle. sits pefectly level now. i was just about ready to take truck off the road... play money is tight... recently bought new trans from BRIAN. still have to put it in.

If the filter is pluging up its going to need a rebuild.That means something in the trans is coming apart.Now if the filter is not pluged it could be the pump or the torque converter is failing.