700r4 conversion

turbo john FL

ITS ONLY A SIX SHOOTER
has anyone ever looked into adapter plates or some way of using a 700r4 in one of our buicks ?/ was wondering , just rebuilt my tranny again :mad: and my tranny guy keeps telling me how the 70 s are so great !! so was wondering

I ran a 700 when I swapped an LC2 into the F body.
700 worked fine but I did break a mount on one launch and cracked the bellhousing.
To use it in a Gbody there are mounting and driveshaft lengths that need to be sorted out.
I do have an adapter plate, bought it form Transdapt.
I'll sell it if interested. $40. shipped.

the 700 is not as strong as the 2004r ......had same idea as you a few years back . Maybe its time to switch tranny guys , or put in a 400 .

No way on Earth I would ever run a 700, I think your tranny guy is nuts!!!!:biggrin:

Plenty of great 200-4R builders right here on this board.:) I wouldn't go to a 700r4.

the gearing is entirely wrong in a 700 vs a 200 if you look at the actual gear steps

here it is

1st 2nd 3rd 4th

2004R 2.74 1.57 1.00 0.67

700R4 3.06 1.62 1.00 0.70

if you will look there is a big change in gear ratio from first to second in the 700 automatic therefore it causes a problem with lugging of the engine due to a drastic change in engine rpms. the gear ratio change from first to second is 1.44 it cuts the gear ratio in half almost. the 700 was meant to be used with a rear gear set of 2.73 so with the low first gear ratio it could pull away from a stoplight without much effort but then it posses a problem with the lugging of the engine in second gear. since most of the cars/truck with a 700 auto has gear sets ranging from a 3.08 to a 2.73 they didn't need that big of a overdrive to keep the rpms down @ highway speeds due to the high speed rear gears this was a plan for fuel mileage and it didn't really work all that well.

the 200 automatic has a higher speed first gear and then look at the change from first to second it's only 1.17 diffrence no lugging of the engine since there is not a real big change in gear ratio. all of the gm overdrive trans have a 1.00 gear ratio in 3rd gear. the 200 has a slightly higher gear ratio to help get the rpms down @ cruising speeds since most of the 200 are used with 3.42-3.73 rear gear sets.

if oy uever drive a car/truck with a 700 auto you will notice that first gear winds up very fast and then when it shifts in to second gear it luggs the engine down till it can regain back some of the rpms and then start to pull better.

interesting guys !! see my tranny guy was using the argument that they use the 700 in lots of trucks and big engine cars . i thing he said they run them in corvettes ?? but he also was saying the 700s had larger gears and bigger input shafts some of that stuff. he said everything in the 200 is smaller and light weight compared to a 700 .
of course thats why i wanted to post and see. i figured there had to be a reason that there are not lots of people changing over to them .

but a couple of responses said the 200 is stronger than the the 700 ? is that accurate ?? just wondering ! i am not not up on trannys other than old schol 350, 400 and powerglides :)

and of course i was thinking of wow, great if possible to transplant a more sturdy tranny and keep with a overdrive for gas mileage.

Give Eric a call @ Dynotech Performane..His # is 516-670-DYNO.. He will give you all the info you need. The best part is he is a real turbo nut and also owns a TR... Check his website also... www.dynotechperformance.com Good luck w your decision...

the 700r4 when fully built with all the great parts can only withstand around 550 foot pounds of torque. Just ask a few of the camaro guys that have been beating on them for a bit.

Both 700 or the 200 is on the edge with all the "BEST" parts at 600 hp.

Only choice is a 400, 4l80(5)e beyond that for longevity.

Other, though I know zilch about its fit and finish is the Ford AOD conversion from Chris/CK.

The 700's first gear is too much and hurts the perfromance on the transition to second

but a couple of responses said the 200 is stronger than the the 700 ? is that accurate ?? just wondering ! i am not not up on trannys other than old schol 350, 400 and powerglides :)

That is accurate.
The 2004R is a better designed/stronger trans than a 700.

If You Are Interested In A 700r4 Go To Transmissioncenter.net They Are Prototyping A 2.66 First Gear For The 700r4 And Some Other Stuff People Might Like.

hm one of those things, you know someone starts telling you something and it sounds good at least . that was my thinking listening to this guy tell me how much he thinks the 700s are like indestructable!

but i take info with a bit of skepticism , and figured this was the place to put the question out there :biggrin:

the gearing is entirely wrong in a 700 vs a 200 if you look at the actual gear steps

here it is

1st 2nd 3rd 4th

2004R 2.74 1.57 1.00 0.67

700R4 3.06 1.62 1.00 0.70

Does anyone know if the 4L60e has the same gearing as the 700?

This article seems to show some large differences in size and strength. Looking at the pictures, it would seem obvious the 700 is the much stronger unit. What exactly makes the 200 stronger?

700R4 vs. 200R4 - Which is Best?

lol that article is very biased and really gives no proof or information other than "its bigger so it must be better" nice pictures though:rolleyes:

and see this is where my tranny guy was going with his input , that pretty much bigger is better and that the 700s where used in bigger vehichles making more power .

so i do wonder what are the weaknesses in the 700 would be interesting to hear from bruce from pts or chris from ck !!