7004r vs 2004r

black-gn

i want to find out which trans is better between the 700 or 200? will the 700 bolt right up and what i need to do to make it work? thanks

The bellhousing is the same and I believe the crosmember is the same, the 700 is longer, though and will need to have the driveshaft shortened.

From what I've read, the 200 and 700 are pretty close to each other in durability in stock form. I think dollar for dollar upgraded, the 700 is better. I have no first hand knowledge, but I believe that is what I read.

The 700 is a Chevy pattern bell housing, the 200 has BOP and Chevy patterns. The 700 ratios are not as good. I know that the 200 has a lower first gear and I think the OD gear is higher. Both have to be built for big power. The GN, 442 and Monte ss trans are the best starting points.

sleeprtsi2 said:
The bellhousing is the same and I believe the crosmember is the same, the 700 is longer, though and will need to have the driveshaft shortened.

From what I've read, the 200 and 700 are pretty close to each other in durability in stock form. I think dollar for dollar upgraded, the 700 is better. I have no first hand knowledge, but I believe that is what I read.
Bellhousings are not the same, very few if any TH700R4's had universal bells for the BOPC pattern, just the Chevy pattern. The tranny is longer, heavier, and doesn't share a mount or length with anything else other than the electrified 4L60E. The TH700R4 also has a lower overdrive ratio and a bigger spread between 1st and 2nd gears. I think in the intial cost of building a TH700R4 will hold more for the dollar spent until you need to hold serious power where the TH200-4R's better design means it will hold more power period but then you are talking lots of billet, cryro, and aftermarket parts. I don't know where the crossover threshold is but I ran a catlog B&M TH700R4 behind my almost 500hp, 600lb-ft 468 Big Block Buick with a big cooler without a hickup for 2 years and as far as I know its still kicking in somones GS now.

Just some information,

We build both units and if a customer is planning on having a trans live with over 500 hp we always steer them to the 200 4R. Reasons being is the 200 4R is far more efficient, has much better internal hard parts available, plus the 700 R4 has inherant design weaknesses that keep it from being reliable over that 500 HP limit. I have seen a hardened O/D transfer tube spiral fracture at stock HP, much less anything more. Plus most 700 R4's are Chevy patern only.