6x9s or a 10" sub?

subtlt

A little faster every day
I've got my Boston NX57s in the doors and I'm very pleased with the sound. :cool: All the highs I was missing have reappeared, and I get good enough mid bass for my tastes. I've got the amp's High Pass filter (80hz) taking away the bass from the NXs and tried running the rear factory 4x10s full range. The tonal balance was annoying, but running the LPF to the 4x10s sounded better, leading me to think I only need bass reproduction back there.

I need to decide if I want 6x9s (with 4x10 adapters) in the deck, or a single 10" sub in a small box. Everything I've done has been factory appearing to this point.

The amp will bridge to 70 clean, peak 150 into a single speaker, or run 35 clean peak 75 2 channel. My goal is not earth shaking bass, just adequate bass listening to rock/alternative.

Which option would you guys recommend based on your experience? I'm 0 for 3 on responses to questions I've asked in this forum, anybody care to break the streak? :D

Thanks,

batter up!

I would say go with a sub/amp. 6x9's will not recreate any kind of good bass. They can reproduce 100Hz or so decently, but nothing low. A sub will always sound WAYYY better and have more impact.

now i dont want to be the one to disagree here, but before i installed my current setup comprising of one 12 inch kappa perfect with 400 watts rms in a sealed box i only had my stock 5.25's jbl gto 3.5's and cerwin vega stealth series 6x9's all on my alpine 7892 and i would have to say that for 6x9's those hit really nice. even with rap beats such as 3 6 mafia that go real deep you could hear everything and it kicked. just something to think about if you want a lightweight setup (stay fast:D ) sure my sub hits harder but i did lose some volume as far as the high end goes by removing the 6x9's. just my $0.02

Good info

Thanks for the feedback. Another key point I should have mentioned is that my source is primarly MP3, so there's not sub 60hz info.

I've applied the 80hz LFP to the rears and there's almost nothing there. Granted, I'm torturing the 4x10s asking them to do this, but set up this way there is some information in the say 100-400 hz range that's missing between the 57s and the bass only rears.

I'm thinking I'll add the NX97s w/4x10 adapters, then if I want some real punch, do a seperate box with double 10s and a dedicated amp. The pioneer amp has an RCA passthrough, so we're good to go there.

The NXs actually fit quite nicely. I'm getting some funky vibration in the ~200hz range that I have to find, but other than that, they bolted right in. One pop rivet required for the baskets, no cutting at all. They sound brighter in the car than they did on the soundboard, which is OK given the door location. They beak the heck out of the stockers!