6776 turbo went bad after only 300 miles

oldprotrac

Spoolin Fool
Believe it or not, i found the problem with the smoking. After noticing i was loosing boost for no reason, i decided to look at the new turbo. Their was no in out play at all but a TON of side to side play. So much that the turbines wouldnt spin any more. Looking at the compressor exit , it was filled up with oil. I think it took out a thrust bearing. I dont know how or why though, the turbo isnt even two weeks old. Anyone have any ideas????

I am using the Precision turbo saver and oil pressure was at 25 idle and over 60 under boost. I disconnected the turbo feed line and it filled a can full of oil real quick, so i knw the turbo was getting plenty of oil.:confused:

I once had the main turbo saver lines crossed from the adapter plate to the remote filter housing. It cost me a rebuild.

I hooked it up the way it came out of the box. It has pressure and oil running through it?? Did yours have any oil running through it, Rick??

Yes it did have oil. I don't know exactlly but either restricted flow or dirty oil ultimatly killed it. The adapter and the filter housing should be marked in and out. Out of the adapter plate into filter and out of the filter into the adapter.
May not the case but its something to check.

Good luck!

Ut oh, looks like it's your engine coming apart that made it go bad. At least that's what I was told after I had one to go bad after a month of use...:rolleyes: I had to eat that turbo...:mad: My engine lasted several more years so I don't think that was my problem.

If you are running a turbo saver (assuming it's been on the whole time), how would trash or dirt get to the turbo to destroy it?

What was the max oil pressure this turbo was seing? You mentioned 60+ psi. I think the max recommended oil pressure is around 80 to 85 psi before damage to the seals can occur.