.63 Garret housing??

Realspool

I have a Te-44 turbo that i just installed.Has less then 100 miles on it.I bought the turbo from Precision and the turbo runs great .The only thing i didn't know was that Precisions .63 housing is bigger then the Garret Housing.I wanted the smaller Garret housing but i thought that a .63 Garret housing was the same for a Precision .63 but after reading some posts many guys have posted the precision power turbo has a bigger housing and has more top end power because of it. I am not in to racing the car so i am trying to figure out how to get a .63 Garret housing switchedfor more out of the box power due to increased spool up.I know i will lose some top end power but I would rather have the bottom end for the street.Anyone have any opinions on this or suggestions??? Appreciate it:cool:

My experience is I ran better at the track with the .63 Garret housing. That housing is definetly better on the street also. I ran better with that housing because I have the stock heads untouched and the bigger housings did nothing for me at the track and slowed me down on the street. And yes I did try them all. I still have the .82 Garret and .63 Precision in the basement. I say pick up the .63 Garret for better street driving.
Hope that helps.
Dave

Thanks for the reply. I would love to try the Garret .63 housing for my TE-44 turbo.I thought the precision TE-44 was the same .63 as all the rest of the turbo's.The only difference between my car and yours is that i have good ESP cnc ported race cylinder heads.But even though i have good heads i am not really into racing the car and with the Precision TE-44 turbo I have, with there .63 housing there is lag there that i really would like to get rid of.Only thing is,is how do i get a .63 Garret housing and do i need anything other parts for it.Its a brand new turbo less then 100 miles on it.Like I said runs great but I like to swap in a Garret .63 for more fun on the street.I wonder if they still make the Garret .63???.If not I could probably swap housings with someone who wants more mid to top end power. :cool:

Originally posted by Realspool
Thanks for the reply. I would love to try the Garret .63 housing for my TE-44 turbo.I thought the precision TE-44 was the same .63 as all the rest of the turbo's.The only difference between my car and yours is that i have good ESP cnc ported race cylinder heads.But even though i have good heads i am not really into racing the car and with the Precision TE-44 turbo I have, with there .63 housing there is lag there that i really would like to get rid of.Only thing is,is how do i get a .63 Garret housing and do i need anything other parts for it.Its a brand new turbo less then 100 miles on it.Like I said runs great but I like to swap in a Garret .63 for more fun on the street.I wonder if they still make the Garret .63???.If not I could probably swap housings with someone who wants more mid to top end power. :cool:

Garrett still makes the housings, but on a P-Trim, there is next to no meat left on the husing for the downpipe to mate up to on the upper left corner of the housing. The precision makes more power on top due to the superior design.

The Garrett housings are spendy compared to the Precision units. I would just change the stall in the converter. But that is just me.

I guess with my engine Mods:pTE-44 TURBO, ESP cnc ported Race heads,ESP front mount intercooler,009 inj,3;73 gears,340 Walbro Hot wired,estimated engine output around 550HP. the Precision .63 Housing seems to be best for my set up.The one thing about the Garret .63 is that if i swapped that housing from the Precision housing it came with would it spool so quick i would have traction problems because that is no fun either???Would it kill the airflow of my cylinder heads.Right now i have the Precision TE-44 in my car.I have a stock D5 2800 or 3000 stall on it.Maybe if i went to a 3200 Vigilante converter or 9/11 3200 converter the turbo would spool like the TE-44 Turbo with the .63 Garret housing??? any opinions or thoughts??? Thanks

I'm just baffled by the fact that you said you "are not into racing" yet you have a truckload of race parts and the potential for a mid to low 11 second car, and you're worried about the exhaust housing??? What gives? Heck, I'll round up a stock Garret housing for you, if you wanna' trade your PTE .63!;)

The PTE housing is designed to spool quickly, yet provide almost the same performance as a .82 housing on the top end. I've seen results of only 1 mph difference between the two, yet the PTE .63 still allows great bottom end performance.

IMO, there is NO reason for you to give up that nice piece. There is nothing else about your setup that is stock, or "street trim", other than your converter. The Precision Vigilante would be a great accent to your setup as well, and, it will still allow for great street driveability, until you lean on it and place it under a load.

You have a streetable race car. Why go backwards???

I guess your right about the PTE Housings>alot of guys really like them.Well i didn't say i would never race my car.just mainly blazing the roadways.One thing i forgot to mention is that I am having serious exhaust leaks which could be killing spool up and creating alot more lag with an engine that is not 100% in tune.Thanks for your thoughts.

Here is a visual compare for ya. The housings are around $150 each from anyone that sells turbos, and this pic is right from my basement.
housings

Man Dave,the Precision .63 exhaust housing looks so much larger then the Garret .63.By looking at the difference it would be hard to think they spool the same.I have heard of the PTE's superior design.I wonder if i went with a Garret .63 exhaust housing how much Horse power would i lose on the top.But since I will rarely race my car I could just try the Garret housing.Some guy said there was no difference in spooling with the .63 Garret or the Precision .63.Some guys see a big difference in the .63 Garrett for the street car manners with no turbo lag.I hate to play around with what I got but i want it right.Great pictures Dave Thanks alot.

Can any one tell me why the Precision .63 exhaust housing is more superior then the Garret .63 exhaust housing??I know the Precision is bigger but how can it spool as good as a garrett housing for the ultimate spooling in a street car:confused:

No matter what anyone says the .82 gave better top end at the track than the .63, but lagged more on the street. So Precision came up with something in the middle, their .63 and it is closer to a .73. It is a litter more laggy on the street but pulls better than the Garret .63 at the track. Yes the Garret has less meat for the down pipe to seal but I have never had a problem with that. In my opinion there is no physical way the Precision can be better on the street. If I were you I would get the car running good with no exhaust leaks and then decide if your car has to much lagg for the strret. If you feel it does then switch to the Garret .63. Hope that helps and thats my opinions.
Dave

Yeah i think the exhaust leaks could be really killing the spooling of the turbo.Well it is a fact that it kills the spooling.Problem is i can't find the dam leak.One guy just emailed me and told me to take of a vaccuum line and with a squirter put ATR in it and then you will see the leaks,usually white smoke will come out.The guy said it does no damage to the parts but thats the only time i heard someone doing something like that.If so that may be the only way for me to find out where the leak or leaks are occurring.What do you think about this method? Thanks for your opinions

Sorry I have never heard of that before, I thought ATR was just a Buick Vendor. When ever I installed my turbo , I would start it up cold and quickly run my hand around the turbo to header surface and feel for leaks and also feel around the down pipe mounting surface. As far as the header to motor surface you might be able to feel around the top but they would be hard to get at. I can see those surfaces and the cross over being the problem areas if the headers are in good shape with no cracks. I never have had a leak so I've never had to look into the different methods.

Realspool, if you really want a garret .63 I have one and would be willing to trade with you. Just an option, I am not using the .63 right now.

I would possibly trade exhaust housings with you.I am from Pa. where are you from?Only thing right now is next thursday i have to get a fuel pump installed in my car so I would not take it off until i got it back.Actually i like the precision housing but i want my turbo to spool up as fast as a stock GN.Let me know when you would want to trade.How old is your Garret .63 Housing?? Thanks Ray

I could not really tell you how old my housing is as it came with a used turbo I bought, it is in good shape. I would not nessecarily need your housing right away as this is just an extra housing I have. I street race/drag race on radials so slow spool up does not bother me. Let me know what you want to do. Oh and I live in kansas. Actually if you want I could send you mine if you wanted to try it out first.

Zak

Yeah Zak,well next Thursday I have to take my car to this Buick shop to install my new 340 Walbro with the hot wire kit,also i just ordered i fuel sending unit so i will have also a correct fuel gauge.One thing my car has right now is a bad exhaust leak and this Pro I take my car to,can't pinpoint exactly where the leak is.Although its definately coming from the passengers side header.That could be hurting the spool a little bit or alot.I won't know until its fixed.Its hard to say if i have to get new headers because when i inspected the header after taking it off the first time there were no cracks,so it could be warpage somewhere.Possibly Thursday i can have them look at it again or just take it home and try using gaskets all around.Give me a 1 week or 2 maybe more.I will email you when its fixed. Ray