6 years old today, in a way...

bruce

Rest In Peace
Well, today's kind of a special day for me.
It's been 6 years since my lung transplant.
It's been nothing less then a miracle. 8 years ago, and then 7 years ago, I got the, *get your affairs in order talk*, by the Drs., since they thought I had less then a year to live. Don't think those words, won't ruin you day. Then pre-transplant, they said hopefully, I'd have another 3-5 years (based on my age, and condition). The first couple years were kind of touch and go. Wound up going thur Chemotherapy a few times, and Radiation Therapy, for a couple illnesses, and chronic rejection. It's been just amazing, I'd been in a wheel chair for a few years, and since there just weren't any donors, for what was only several months, but just existing while waiting for a donor, isn't really living.
I was scheduled to go on a ventilator, since my breathing was so bad. The bad thing about the ventilator, is that it takes you off the transplant list. Being on O2, so weak, and scheduled for being taken off the list, and put on a ventilator, was really a bad time. But, things at the last minute, went right. I kind of got ahead of things there, I got a call for getting prepped for surgery, but the tissue was bad, so I just took it as a sign of just being one step closer to the real one. Then the next day, I got another call to get prepped, again, bad tissue. That was a bit tougher, I was still weak from the first prep, and it's arenaline rush. The again a day another dry run, that one was really tough, I was just too worn out. Then would you believe, a day later another call, I don't know if I'd have had enough inside me, to go thur all that again, but luckily, that surgery was a go. When you're really end term, they get alot less fussy about the tissue *fit*, and will do about anything they can to keep you living. Then there were problems during the surgery so I only got one lung, instead of the two they'd planned on, I kept coding during the surgery, so they did the one, and *got out of dodge*. Then in recovery due to the problems, I was told I'd never walk without a crutch, as my right foot had nerve damage from the surgery. Well, a towel, and 16 hrs a day therapy got my foot working.

One thing alot of people don't know, is that when you sign a donor card, not only are you possibly giving the gift of life to someone, but alot of the donated tissues are used for birth defects, and cosmetics (like from burn damage). Prior to surgery I got to see a *scrap book*, of before and after pictures of birth defects that had been cured by donated tissue. It was incredible, there just isn't words to discribe what disfigurements can be cured, by using donated tissue.

My point?, it's about having a positive spirit. No matter how bad things seem to get, you can possibly beat the odds.
That, and there's an incredible amount of good, you can do, even after your own death.

If you're a donor, Thank You, if you're not, please just think about it. It's not for everyone, but, man, for me (and thousands of others), it was truely a God Send.

WOW! I had no idea that you have been thru so much in your life, simply amazing how people have the strength to keep on keepin on.

Glad to see your still around, simply amazing that your still kickin.

I recieved my new drivers liscense today.
I am a donor and now its not a decal stuck over my liscense, its permenant.

Hoping to do my part when i pass on.
BW

Attachments

• 100_2895 (Small).jpg
    100_2895 (Small).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 244
bruce
that is an amazing story, I am a donor and have always been since I've had a DL. The parts wont do me any good when Im gone ;)

Quick6'n'-K.C.
-----------------------------------------
WOW! I had no idea that you have been thru so much in your life, simply amazing how people have the strength to keep on keepin on.
Glad to see your still around, simply amazing that your still kickin.
I recieved my new drivers liscense today.
I am a donor and now its not a decal stuck over my liscense, its permenant.
Hoping to do my part when i pass on.

bruce
that is an amazing story, I am a donor and have always been since I've had a DL. The parts wont do me any good when Im gone
------------------------------------------

Well, there's even more to it, then that... :)

Thanks, to you guys and those like you that are donors.

Bruce,
Happy B-day!
I feel privileged to be able to bounce off ideas to a gent like you. You willingness to always share your wealth of knowledge and provide insight on TR issues is admired.

You see, in MANY ways, you have helped a lot of people achieve their goals and dreams. We will need you around for another 30 years minimum - It will take me THAT long to get the car where it needs to be. (Did I hear an Amen?)
GREAT having you around and keep on keeping the faith! :biggrin:

bruce

bruce i have never met you or talked to you, but i know how you feel. in 1986 i had a groth, cancer , after surgery doctor said we got it all, in 1992 groth or lump more surgery doctor said again we got it all, 1999 i got diagnos again this time it was different in 2000 more surgery in 2001 more surgery , im still alive i have a lot of stanless steel tubes in my body , im 65 years old and you never know how beautiful life is untill someone[doctor]tells you you are lucky that we caught it in time, my niece has less than a year to live lung cancer no she dont smoke and never has, so enjoy life because you never know what tomorrow will bring, maybe someone is watching over you [if you believe in a superior power] good luck :)

odell4o8 said:
bruce i have never met you or talked to you, but i know how you feel. in 1986 i had a groth, cancer , after surgery doctor said we got it all, in 1992 groth or lump more surgery doctor said again we got it all, 1999 i got diagnos again this time it was different in 2000 more surgery in 2001 more surgery , im still alive i have a lot of stanless steel tubes in my body , im 65 years old and you never know how beautiful life is untill someone[doctor]tells you you are lucky that we caught it in time, my niece has less than a year to live lung cancer no she dont smoke and never has, so enjoy life because you never know what tomorrow will bring, maybe someone is watching over you [if you believe in a superior power] good luck

Actually, we have talked.
I caught that you do, appreciate life.

I hate hearing about your niece. Cancer can be just such a cruel way to go. I've lost a few of my lung transplant patient friends due to lung cancer. Without an immune system if cancer starts, it's just a matter of time.

Yep, I'm a believer. While, I'm not a Bible Thumper, or one to preach, but I know that there's a *inner strenght* that people can call on, that's not explainable by anything conventional.

Hopefully, we'll see each other at the Nats next year.

Jerryl said:
We will need you around for another 30 years minimum - It will take me THAT long to get the car where it needs to be. (Did I hear an Amen?)

30?, well while a great thought, it just ain't gonna happen.

But, I'll give ya an Amen!.

Bruce ,congrates .seems as though you are like the energizer bunny. :biggrin: Glad to know you , and what a special day for you.I had lung surgury in 1990 nothing like what you went through .however for me very scary as my daughter was born two months before are i didnt know if i would watch her grow up.last week i was ready to rip a 16 year old guy through a drivers window SOOO I got to see her grow up .
Again WOW what a great story !

BobbyBuick said:
i didnt know if i would watch her grow up.

last week i was ready to rip a 16 year old guy through a drivers window

I can't imagine that. Having a new born, and having to almost immediately have a serious surgery. Any time they put you out, is a serious thing, some folks can be cavalier about it, but not me.

Now, that I can imagine. :)

Awesome story! Live life...tomorrow could never come.....or it could come and end just as fast.....glad your doing good!

Glad you are hanging in there Bruce. For someone who has never been through half of what you have it is impossible for them to see how one has that much drive and strength to keep going. Alot of people would have given up long ago in your situation. Happy birthday friend. :wink:

Now I understand the "I contain recycled parts". Every time I hear something like this, it makes me feel so fortunate to be blessed with good health. Thanks for sharing. Good luck to you.

A new look on life

I to am a donor. I have been in the fire service for 6.5-7yrs now and i have seen what good being a donor can do to richen someone's life. I myself want to send out a thank you for those that and may lost a loved one or a friend that was a donor. You can have those memories about those loved ones/friends and also memories of those that were touch by him/her good faith to be a organ donor.

My stepfather passed away 3 yrs ago and my mother donated his eyes to the NC eye bank to give someone the chance to really have a new outlook on life.

hopefully i will be meeting you before long. Mark Riley @turbo tune said something about coming up and visting you the 15-16 and asked me if i would like to ride up with him. needless to say i jumped at the chance. that is if he still is able to go.

take care bruce. Pat SloGN Broughton