6 bolt mains????

EightSecV6

MDBL
I have 2 Busch engines at my shop with 4 bolt front and rear caps and the center caps are splayed with 2 bolts on the outside as well. The block has bosses cast on the outside to accomodate the extra bolts so I know they were not add ons. Both of them are from Robbie Moroso's team and they are dated 1990, a third one from the same team which I built for Alan Witter had only 4 bolt like the others, does anyone else have any of these?? Were they significant to Moroso? How many engines did the team have? They are numbers 3 5 and 7. Alot of neat stuff on these, everything had Moroso on it, they had parts on them that were not listed in the catalog and when I called them they had no idea what I was talking about. Interesting trivia!

More Trivia

I had a couple of engines built by Ron Hutter that also had 6 bolt center mains. Sounds like this might have been the very last run of blocks as there doesn't seem to be many of them around. Also Kendall why don't you post the casting number of that block I sold you. I've had three of them but never kept the part number. It doesn't seem to be any different from the other wet sump blocks so whats the deal with that number? I think it ended in 4X if I remember. Ron

I have one of these Stage 2 on center crossbolted blocks.both centers have the 6 bolt mains.I have heard that these are (were)called "INDY BLOCKS" and were a late production run.

Steve Bernard

Ron,

I'm at work right now, but I'll add the # to this post tonight. I have a wet sump on center 4 bolt block with a casting # that ends in 1987X, as I recall. I wondered if it wasn't a transition block from 1987? At any rate, I've never seen the part # elsewhere. Seems to be lots of Stage stuff that was one-sie-two-sies and never got documented.. :)

Bill,

Gene Fleury told me he has one of these blocks. I told him I had never heard of one and he stated as you did that it is a genuine article. I'm still looking for a 3.8 On center Stage II myself. I'd like to see one.

I get the feeling there are quite a few blocks that have unusual quirks about them that were cast and machined in small numbers by GM during the Buick Motorsports campaign.

Neal

My last 8.20 Twin engine now belongs to Manny in FL is an off center with "on center machining" I bought it from ruggles, it was made in 92 I believe, it had no provision for an oil pump pick up, Jim R. personally told me that only 55 of these were produced for a certain class, dont remember all the specifics but Buick made the minimum number for him to allow it's use and that was the extent of the production. First and only off center I have ever seen with no provision for a pick up.
Jim also had some blocks with the cam holes cast .090 higher to acommodate a longer stroke crank but you had to use a gear drive. neat stuff!
Bill

re: neat trivia

>Jim also had some blocks with the cam holes cast .090 higher to acommodate a longer stroke crank but you had to use a gear drive. neat stuff!

In fact J.R. bought several of these "4.5L" blocks from Lozano Bros in San Antonio, TX in the late 80's or early 90's :) I saw them on the pallet, ready to go out.

TurboTR

Hi cam stage 2

In the FWIW dept, I think my machine shop guy had those blocks as he was working w/ an operation that ran IMSA. They were lobbying to get the V-6 to be accepted at 5 litres as the MOOSTWANGS were.:p [5 litres required a raised cam]
Since the V-6 was wearing the moostwangs out at various races, the IMSA heirarcy put the whoa on that and that was the end of the BUICKS in IMSA.

Back under my block:confused: