4th Gear SHAKE

SSedan64

JoaTMoN
This is a question from a MonteSS site >>>>>>>>>>>>

i rebuilt my 200 4r a couple months ago and had some problems with it so i did it again and it seems to run great in first second and third but in overdrive it shakes the whole car. i also have a problem with my lock up kit but that is another story. i have it unplugged right now since with it hooked up i cannot accelerate while on overdrive. any thoughts as to what may be causing the shaking. it seems to be above 55 mph and its there weather or not im on the gas or not but is worse if im not on the gas. i have only had it in od once since i unplugged the lockup from it and decided to see how it acted without it.

Partial TCC engagement(TCC shudder), I would think if problem was in od assembly it would vibrate as engine rev'ed up in neutral, other possibilities are driveshaft alignment/balance.
TCC Shudder can be from o-ring on input shaft, bad converter, low line pressure. good luck.

Kevin.

When you unpluged the electronics and shifted in od did it quit? If not you may want to check the servo area. If it did, I'll have to agree with Kevin.
Thanks Lowell

This was His reply. >>>>
When the lockup kit was plugged in it wouldn't accelerate which is why i think it was staying locked up. After i unplugged it, that is when it started to shake. It had been a few days since i unhooked it when i tried it again. So what does partial tcc engagement mean. the converter is partially locked up?

The tcc has a little plastic ball in the end of it, this ball could be stuck from trash or age. What gear do you have in the rear and how tall are the tires?

I think what Lowell is describing is the TCC solinoid, and yes it can restrict the exhausting of control valve causing a partial apply of converter, solinoid has also been known to stick closed causing converter to lock-up after shifting to 2nd gear and above, whether powered up or not which would make vehicle feel very "doggy" on acceleration.
If problem is found to be TCC related, I would drain/drop pan and check for any abnormal debris, if clean, replace TCC solinoid and check control valve for free movement(use long skinny screwdriver to push up valve through hole in retaining disc above solinoid, is spring loaded so you should feel it resist movement, but be free moving.)
If pan is contaminated with lots of junk, pull it and rebuild, anything more than a little metalic "fuzz" on the magnet means something is eating itself.
Good Luck.

Kevin.

More Info from Patrick >>

The pan was off not too long ago. At that time i replaced the tcc solenoid so it is brand new. The rear end is a 2.73 open but i have 3.42 gears and a posi to go in as soon as i get the money to pay for it. Tires are stock equivilant, about 26".

the 3.42 will problably fix the problem, @ 50mph your only turning about 1200 rpm with the 2.73

More Info from Patrick >>

I dont have power hooked to the tranny right now. The lockup is unplugged. I have been driving with the tranny in drive right now, the only gear it shakes in is OD.

It shift into fourth and starts shaking. I unplugged the lockkup because it would not unlock when i needed to accelerate. It was a 20 dollar kit off ebay. Learned my lesson there. If its too good to be true it prob is. But now with it unplugged it shakes when in fourth under acceleration.