4l80e

Yes there are. Very heavy tranny, requires adapter plate, custm convertor, and some kind of computer to run it. Easily spend $2000 in parts alone not counting the convertor. Realistically should only be considered if you plan to drive over 5000 miles a year, mostly freeway, and you can run mid to low 10's. typical 10 second Buick is not driven enough to need more than a turbo 400. How much money do you have to save in gas mileage to cover a $3000 tranny conversion? A turbo 400 with a gear vendors overdrive would be easier to do.

Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas
9.05@150 street car

summit brings up some valid points. The only one I disagree with is the Gear Vendor OD point. If you were deciding between the GV OD and the 4L80E, I would go with the 80E. I have one in my G-Body and you do get a lot of benefit being able to control much of the tranny's performance via software (upshift/downshift points, line pressure per gear at various RPMs, speedo changes for when you swap tires, etc.). You also get a shorter overall unit, and faster OD shifts (the GV is slower to shift). Total cost of the 2 options is almost the same - around $5K (the GV OD is overpriced in my book). Servicing is easier with one unit, and there are fewer things to go wrong.

The software I used is from TCI, and they show some samples at their website.

Just my .02

Jim

Pix of 80E install in an 81 G-body at my site:

http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk

While I haven't swap to one for my GN, my truck has one. I've spent a bunch of time reworking the stock calibration, and IMO, it's the best trans out there. They are wonderful. And this is working with the 91 PCM, which was the first year. When I get to swapping it, I'll be using a stock GM PCM, and recalibrating it to work. So it'll be a $50 junkyard item, and $150 for the stuff to edit it, I already have the chip burning stuff (~$150).

Being resourceful can save a ton of $$$$

BTW, the second best auto was a 95 LT1 ole cop car (4L60E).