4L80E vs Gearvendors

SS/GN

Was reading a post by Badnewz about his gear vendors/TH400 combo.Is the 4l80e as strong as the gear vendors and what are pro;s and cons of each.Badnewz please chime in,I just didn't want to hijack.Just an interesting comparison:biggrin:

Kevin

If you want I can take you for a ride to experience a GV in person...

Was reading a post by Badnewz about his gear vendors/TH400 combo.Is the 4l80e as strong as the gear vendors and what are pro;s and cons of each.Badnewz please chime in,I just didn't want to hijack.Just an interesting comparison:biggrin:

Kevin

From my point of view your converter choices are also wide open with the T-400 and GV vs a 4l80E.

Definitely take a ride in a 400/GV car vs. a 4L80E car.

I would say the 4L80E has better converter options, it can be configured in lockup :cool:

You can do a 4L80E converter in just about any configuration as a TH400.
Non-billet, billet, 9.5, 10, 11" single disc, multi-disc, etc.

The Gear Vendors has some drawbacks nobody ever talks about. 3000 mile fluid changes, very clunky downshifts, will not allow OD from a stop for a "1st over" launch, additional losses through an additional pump, too much working angle on the driveline in some cases, etc.

The 4l80e is more compact,more cost effective,and just as reliable as the gear vendors unit in my opinion.The gear vendors unit does produce an overdrive ratio at a lower power loss than the 4l80e.This is because the Gear Vendors unit overdrives the output shaft and the 4l80e overdrive unit must overdrive the forward and direct drums,and both gearsets because it is located in the front of the transmission.

.The gear vendors unit does produce an overdrive ratio at a lower power loss than the 4l80e.This is because the Gear Vendors unit overdrives the output shaft and the 4l80e overdrive unit must overdrive the forward and direct drums,and both gearsets because it is located in the front of the transmission.

I highly doubt it.

The GV has an internal pump that sucks power all the time.
At the instant of the 3-4 shift it may be more efficient, but once it's in 4th and everything is speed matched, I doubt the GV is as efficient.

Accomplishing overdrive requires output being faster than input speed.With this being a fact of the ods mechanical function the gear vendors unit overdrives output speed by overdrivng input from the output shaft .The 4l80e does this by overdriving the gear set and drums meaning a higher rotating speed must obtained within the transto obtain overdrive.At any given road speed in overdrive the 4l80es rotaing mass will be spinning faster than the same combination of parts in the th400.It requires more energy to do so.Having disassembled many early AMERCAN ODRIVES and the Gear vendors units ,there is only a simple planetary gearset,just like that used up front in the 2004r or 4l80e that produces the overdrive.This acts on oly thedriveshaft without resulting in a higher reaction speed in the transmission.A comparison of pumping efficiency losses verses a spinning mass of 40 pounds turning faster than engine speed is no contest as to what draws more power off the engine.

From the people at GV the unit takes 1hp per 100 hp, so 500 hp = 5 hp loss, not sure how accurate that is.

Norbs I dont believe it is that low but it is definately less than a 4l80e.I prefer the 4l80e because of its compact size in comparison to the gear vendors.You definately save money on the custom driveshaft with the Gear vendors because of the length.LOL.In the cost dept,if you already have a good th400 and converter and get a good deal on the gv unit it may be a better bet.What is the going price on the gv od unit?

Does the gear venders unit make up for the extra drag by being able to split each gear?I know you can have 1st,1st od,2nd,2nd od and so on.Not sure if its really usefull to be able to do so or not.

Used units go for $1200-1500. I paid 1500 for mine, and it works well but it is harsh on the downshift is my only dislike. I just use an on off switch on mine, that controller is too much bs. The weight is about 46-47 lbs. The OD ratio is not low enough .78 for all the bother. They won't make a lower ratio I asked. So it is ok, but I would rather have a 4l80 if i did not spend the $ already.

Norbs I dont believe it is that low but it is definately less than a 4l80e.I prefer the 4l80e because of its compact size in comparison to the gear vendors.You definately save money on the custom driveshaft with the Gear vendors because of the length.LOL.In the cost dept,if you already have a good th400 and converter and get a good deal on the gv unit it may be a better bet.What is the going price on the gv od unit?

Chris,

If someone were considering the 4l80e in a Buick application, what advice or recommendations can you offer? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shev

High torque ,large engine displacements,and 70 pluss mm turbos are good candidates for the 4l80e.The gear ratio allows the car to hook up and leave better because of the lower starting line ratio.Regulated converter charge virtually guarantees you will never have a transmission caused engine main thrust bearing issue.Early style cores are a better choice for performance applications.

Curious....
I read some info on the removal of many lbs of wt out of a 400.
Are any of the weight reduction mods for the 400, applicable to an 80E??

Curious....
I read some info on the removal of many lbs of wt out of a 400.
Are any of the weight reduction mods for the 400, applicable to an 80E??

Thats a good question, have you checked out the kilgore th400 light weight mods? I have emailed this guy a few times, but never responds back? Perfect way not to get my business.

Not sure if this has been posted but here it goes. 4L80 gets my vote. The GV when used with a loose converter seems to slip the converter more in the OD position giving up the RPM to slippage at cruise you were trying to reduce. Quite honestly just feels sloppy. With the 80 lock the converter down and none of the slippage to deal with.

Not sure if this has been posted but here it goes. 4L80 gets my vote. The GV when used with a loose converter seems to slip the converter more in the OD position giving up the RPM to slippage at cruise you were trying to reduce. Quite honestly just feels sloppy. With the 80 lock the converter down and none of the slippage to deal with.

I agree on you there, however who makes a lock up converter that is comparable to a ptc 9.5 inch converter which has about 3-4% slip not locked? Because I think WOT the converter locked is not going to last.