4L80E Transbrake video

jakeshoe

We installed the 4L80E transbrake today in a moderately fast car.
A friend of mine's '76 Camaro with ~650 HP 496 BBC. I did the 4L80E a couple of years ago. Today we updated it to a transbrake VB.

Here's the video of him and another friend flogging the car.

YouTube - Mikesbrake.MOV

Jake whos valve body did you use? Is it electric or a manual? I have a 80 in mine with the manual valve body with a brake from CK and had it built by Jim at transformance but havent got to try it yet. Im in the middle of a major overhaul but looking for a 1000whp.

Jake whos valve body did you use? Is it electric or a manual? I have a 80 in mine with the manual valve body with a brake from CK and had it built by Jim at transformance but havent got to try it yet. Im in the middle of a major overhaul but looking for a 1000whp.

I used my own design transbrake. We've installed about a half dozen so far and sold a few others.

It will work electrically or as a full manual.

I've got three 4L80E's out there in the 1200-1300 RWHP range. All turbo'd 4th Gen Camaro's.

I will keep you in mind Jake for when I have to do another one. I was not happy with the CK valve body I had to pull the trans when they left some parts out of it and I still have a Trinity I think if I didnt throw it away

The Trinity 4L80E brake was a fookin' POS nightmare that ended up costing me literally about $4K if not more.
I JUST finally got that mess cleared up a month ago or so after I got the customer fixed up with my brake design.

I tried the Trinity and a couple of other designs and gave up and designed my own.

Here's the customer feedback from yesterday.
"The Jake Brake"... 4L80E trans brake - NastyZ28.com

I had a few nasty conversations with Jim at Trinity and sent his junk back and got a refund (most of the VB cost anyway). I never really looked at the hydraulics of his design to see what was wrong with it other than he was using torque signal oil for some part of it. That's pretty stupid but if you have one of his around still, I would like to look at it and then call him and tell him how/why he f'd up.

He's supposedly a Hydramatic engineer. I guess an ex military/merc/non 4 yr degree holding trans builder knows more about the 4L80E hydraulics than the engineers who designed it...

how quickly does it actually engage? that was the problem I had with the rossler brake.. slowwwww...

The Rossler brake is known to be slow.

Mine sets up very quickly. Less than a second and that depends on whether you are running it at full pressure or not.

YouTube - DSCN0010.MOV

This was setting up at minimal pressure on an LS1 car.