4L80E trans question??

gn_steve

boosted canadian
Hi guys i have the opportunity to put my hands on a 4L80E from a savana 2x4 with the ecm harness and driveshaft!

My quedtion is do they fit on our cars if not is there an adapter to put them on cause i think the 4l80e is one tuff trans???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need an adapter kit to mate with the Buick bolt pattern.

Other items are a electronic controller, and a torque converter to suit your build, adapters for the cooler lines, different yoke and driveshaft mods, re-work the crossmember to fit and other items like the dip stick.

Mods to the shifter will be minor for it to adapt to work ok.

I don't have the numbers here but the stock 200 may have a deeper 1st gear. In otherwords, car will be slower with a 4L80E

Slower is A relative term if the 2004r won't hold up to the power. But unless you are knocking down 10s a good builder should be able to get you hooked up with a reliable 2004r.

Yes but the 4l80e is free i have about 400 to the wheels will a stock 4l80e hold up that power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A free 4L80e gets expensive. Adapter to engine, torque converter, shorten and re-yoke the drive shaft. Then there is the controller for the trans .
I'm not saying it isn't an option. It just isn't as cheap as swapping it in. You don't know the condition of the 4l80e. I would want it gone through and clutches, paper and rubber replaced.
Do you not have the brf 2004r any more? It should handle 400hp with a few upgrades and careful assembly.

No clue. I'm sure a google search could turn up. Some figures of what gm put in front of it.

Did you get my pm?

The 4l80 is basically a th400 with a over drive . I say grab if it's free . I went through my share of 200 I'm on my th400 now with no issues . As stated above u need a computer/ecm , custom drive shaft , converter , Ect. It adds up fast next. Thing you know u are $1000-2000 into your free trans . You most likely will never break the 4l80 so I think it's worth it .
. image.jpgimage.jpg

I am also making the move to the 4l80e (behind an LS) and from talking to builder about them, A GOOD WORKING 4l80e should be good to 400-450 after that drop in an upgraded sprag and that should take you to 700 after that is a few more hard parts and 100o is doable. NOT my words. but this info is pretty much the same from different sources.