4cyl Mustang kills GN!

Are you sure that is a 4 cyl. and a real SVO?

There are a few SVO body components that are missing. The spoiler for sure and the rear rocker spoilers in front of the rear wheel wells. I think it is just a SVO nose.

wtf? the GN got a huge jump on that dude and then all of a sudden right in the middle of the run the mustang shoots past the GN? was that dude running nitrous? and don't tell me that was the turbo because the mustang should have got the jump or at least kept up with the GN in the beginning...

I'm pretty sure its an svo. It prolly has the items you mentioned removed. It is definately a 4 cyl. though.

Originally posted by CraigT
Are you sure that is a 4 cyl. and a real SVO?

There are a few SVO body components that are missing. The spoiler for sure and the rear rocker spoilers in front of the rear wheel wells. I think it is just a SVO nose.

i dont know how fast that dudes gn was but i do know that an svo can be fast. a friend of mine has an 86 gt with an svo drive train, it has a bigger turbonetics turbo and a 50hp shot of n2o, he runs consistent low 12's at around 110. so if that gn was stock or near stock ya he would get stomped.

You know Craig, I watched the video again, and that car DOES have the rear spoiler, in the video. But the picture I saw of the car did not.

Matt 87, the GN ran an 11.09 (didn't show the mph). The SVO ran a 9.86 @ 140.

There is another video with the same car doing 9.6, I think. It's still uglier than crap, but not bad for a 4cyl!

12sec beats 14 sec just like 9 sec beats 11 sec. no magic involved just money and hp. good kill for the stang.

yeah that's a scenario of who has more money there...there's plenty of 9 second TRs out there to race if that one mustang is bored with the 11 second one! props to that mustang though...that is crazy:eek:

i can believe it but the 2300 wont usually take that kinda power but he might have switched to a 200 cc motor which will take it ....my buddies 2000 cc pinto trapped at 138 on the only pass they let him run.

i think he was nuts to go 138 in a stock suspension pinto with no cage but thats him

and btw: its carbed and turbo'd and was pushing 43# of boost in it

Reggie,
I notice you have a v8 Vega (from your signature). What kit did you use to adapt the v8? Off-line reply is fine.
kjhansen49@yahoo.com
BTW,
There's a 12 second Dodge minivan on the web somewhere. Turbo'd '89. Not 9 second, but not bad for a daily driver kid-hauler/grocery getter minivan. No juice, just 4cyl 2.3liter with a big turbo.
Keith

Originally posted by kjhansen
Reggie,
I notice you have a v8 Vega (from your signature). What kit did you use to adapt the v8? Off-line reply is fine.
kjhansen49@yahoo.com

Keith

not to but in but i think i still have a set of hooker mounts lying around

i prefered using factory v8 monza mounts for the ones i've done ..

if your doing one i could help out with some details if you need.
i might can come up with some v8 monza mounts if thats your choice but they are hard to come up with

i think i have a couple tailshafts left for t-350 trans for the torque arm to hook to so the later suspension can be usd over the factory four link setup

RED

You know, I think think it is monza mounts, but I didn't install it. Wanna buy the car? :D I need some turbo money for my '89 Rustang.

Originally posted by kjhansen
Reggie,
kjhansen49@yahoo.com
BTW,
There's a 12 second Dodge minivan on the web somewhere. Turbo'd '89. Not 9 second, but not bad for a daily driver kid-hauler/grocery getter minivan. No juice, just 4cyl 2.3liter with a big turbo.
Keith

Ahem!

My buddy is building a turbo 2.3 for his 90 Mustang LX.

He JUST got a t3/t4 hybrid turbo for it... and it seems to be a bit too big for a 2.3L! Assuming that he is dealing with a lot of lag, this thing will be a dog down low (where we accel) but a beast on the top end (unlike us). Hence the video.

He was planning on using a T5 to back this up, but that will kill its drag potential, we are attempting to get him into an AOD so that he can develop some load and build boost on the line. We'll see.

It is important to recognize the differences between the two cars and their powerplants... I am sure you know what they are. If not look it up :p

I got one hell of a surprise from an SVO one time. It was a friend of a friend's car and I was riding in the back with my girlfriend. There were four of us in it. I only know a couple of his mods but most important was a 60-1 turbo, Indy head, some big cam, stock block, crank, and pistons, and good rods. I was curious how it ran so I asked him to get on it. We were going at least 40mph. He left it in third, didn't dump the clutch or anything and right before the tires broke free and we almost spun out that thing sat me back in the seat like no 4 banger ever has. No NOS by the way.

a few years back a friend here in kc took a 4 cyl mustang and dropped in the turbo coupe motor--

he had the head ported, forged pistons,small upgraded turbo, and ran 22 psi- it had the v8 world class t5 and v8 rear end-
the car would 60' in the low 1.50's!!!!
this car was put on a serious diet, and off the bottle it went 11.60's with stock suspension and slicks
on the bottle 75shot it went 11.08 at 122.23 running out of gear
the 3:73's were too much gear on the bottle-
that car was badazz at the track, but spun the slicks too much for it to win on the street.

Originally posted by Reggie
You know, I think think it is monza mounts, but I didn't install it. Wanna buy the car? :D I need some turbo money for my '89 Rustang.

Well, actually it isn't me. It's a doctor friend of mine and his son, and they want to build the Sunbird they have.

Keith

It's the SVO rear spoiler that I saw missing, the one that is mid way down the back glass.

I had an 86 SVO I had bought from a kid I knew. He had put the stage 2 turbo on it and had a fresh factory shortblock with a ported head and AFPR. I got it for 1400 bucks. It was a dog down low because of the turbo. It would bog with a 4500 dump. But it would pull at the top when you stayed in 3rd gear. It was running lean, I raised the fuel pressure up a couple pounds when some kids were going to come over for a test drive, to be safe since I knew we would be running it hard. That thing pulled so hard even with 3 people in the car. They took it for $2000. It was kinda beat up. Still a cool car!

video

shoot...the video won't come up for me.

John C.
G.M.
Platinum Motorsports

Almost all of the guys running the turbo 4 cylinder Fords run the 2.3
The weak points are the main caps which they stud and add straps and the connecting rods. They come stock with forged pistons. Its very easy to get a stock one into the 13's.
There are many that are running 10's and 11's with them. The faster guys run the V8 T5 or a Tremec with 4.10's. The real fast guys run a C4 with a small bellhousing.
A lot of guys run nitrous which works really well on them
Check out www.turboford.org sometime. They have a fairly large community and its pretty amazing what they do on a shoestring budget. I am getting ready to swap an 88 turbo coupe engine and trans into my Ranger.