496 bb chevelle

matt87

the usual cars were at our hangout lastnight when my friend told me a 71 chevelle was coming looking for trouble. i told him i'm not one to worry about bb cars. seen too many that make alot of noise and go slow. my friend Randy was with us too. he has a mostly stock gn with a ta-63 and 50# injectors and a 3500 stall, everything else stock, heads,cam,intercooler,t-body. so about an hour later that chevelle arrives. we all checked out his setup, 496 chevy, torker2 intake,850 demon carb, 650 lift hydralic roller, merlin iron heads and a th-400 with a 3500 stall. he "says" hes coming to race a top dog, so me being one of the faster guys challenges him, well he started making exscuses, so i said if you can beat my friends mostly stock gn, you can race me. so off we went to lay it down. they staged and left pretty even but the chevelle pulled away from the gn. it was my turn next. i did my usuall John Force burnout to get the 28x12.5 et streets warm. pulled up next to him and started applying boost. we both left pretty good, i got maybe a half car out on him, i started pulling away when all of a sudden he just let out. later he said he was on his redline. he was amazed at my cars top end pull. so i was pretty happy for my car was in street trim. all in a days work!

Pretty good tactics, get em all nice and hot before you race him :D Send Randy out to measure up how fast he is first. :D Good thinkin. Atleast someone raced you for once. Will the Chevelle be around tonight?

Randy didnt mind, he wanted to see how good his car would do. he got vengence on a 88 supra turbo later that night. no not a 396, he said it was a built 454 dont know if it was stroked or poked or anything like that, how do they make a 502?

I think if you bore a 454 over a certain amount, they displace 496 cubes. Awesome kill by the way! Keep 'em coming!

No, a 496 is a stroked 454. A bored 454 would be a 502 (though not possible because a 502 has siamesed bores, but I digress)

A 650 lift cam is HUGE

He must have a big converteror some mean rear gears to get that tub moving. He probably was telling the truth when he said he ran out of gear

Great kill

When are you going to take that thing to the track Matt?

i'd like to get to the track soon, before it gets real hot. i have acsess to several area tracks, just such a pain to plan it all, weather,rental of a trailer and so on. i'll get there! the guy said he had 4.10 gears and his redline was 5600 rpm.

Hi Matt :)

We've talked before. My combo is identical to yours..EXCEPT...you have GN1s and I only have Champions ported irons. Theoretically you should be able to run a little faster than me in a good state of tune and similar weight. I ran 10.57@127.1 mph last year on 25lbs of boost/26* of timing and good gas. I actually had a little more left because I never shifted into 4th gear. For the last 3 seconds of the run it probably would have benefitted me at least a little mph and maybe 1/2 a tenth. I have always slowed down shifting into 4th until that pass. Your car should be 11.3-11.6 capable on 94 octane pump gas with 18 * timing and 18lbs or so f boost with a good launch at about 117-120mph. Let me know how you make out at the track :)

Ted right? yes i remeber talking with you before. hows the car running this year? do any mojor changes in the combo? i'm pretty set for now, no plans on going stage2 so adding bigger a bigger turbo or porting my gn1s is kinda pointless. i hope to put up some decent numbers but i need to do an egt so i know what the hecks going on in my motor, i dont have FAST. i'm interesred if you have any tips for plugs fouling on c-16. i go through them so fast. i tried gapping them to .30 and see what happens.

Yes it's Ted :) I do use a FAST system and highly recommend them. If you are using a low impedence stock computer, the issue with the plugs is fuel pressure or chip related. What kind of O2s do you have at WOT? if they are mid to upper 700s, then it's a chip thing. I drive around all the time with c16 and the plugs look great. Yes, I am going stage, but you know how it is, it takes longer and more money than you plan for lol. My car drives around tuned for 10.80s-11.0s and no much usually can come close to touching it......but no one is invincible....I try to stay humble :) Do a directscan or T-link pass and send the read out to Jay Carter and see if he can work a chip for you. Really big injectors like ours and stock computer chips can be a real pain in the butt.

Ted, i do run a Max Effort chip set. it doesnt use o2 so those numbers are not rellevant, thats why i need egt. all i go by now is knock(which i never see) so i dont know if its too rich. kinda like flying blind. i had my plugs gapped at .35 before which is too much for high boost with c-16, i may invest in that msd-dis4 if i have any more problems. so your going stage huh? seems everyone on this baord does this when they reach mid 10s, guess thats the limit. i'm gonna use up this engine and do a TA aluminum block when they become more available and tested. are you going to the track rental june 6 at lvd? i know Cotton is.

I just have stock ignition and have never had trouble with a .035" gap at 25lbs of boost. That being said, your heads will flow more than mine so it may become an issue. If you do have a problem it will miss and maybe pop because the spark will get blown out. I would bet you are rich, but you need a scan tool of some kind or egt asap. I wouldn't risk anything. It's a monster even with 14 lbs of boost and 18* of timing right? and then it only gets meaner :D

Ted, i do have a scanmaster2 but its very limited. the Max effort is open loop so it doesnt use o2 for fueling, its the same o2 i've had since last summer with many tanks of c-16. i do run upward of 28 psi so maybe the spark is blowing out! seems better now at .30. see what happens!

hey this is kinda cool...i'm building my brother's gn right now with an almost identical combo:).

bb t-66
cotton's fm
72's
maxeffort
atr headers/dp/racegate
accufab 70mm tb/plenum
gn-1's/champion ported intake
atr 210/214 billet roller

what stall are you guys running?my brother had pts build a full tilt 2004r w/billet 9-11 3600 stall.jack said that stall should be fine...

you guys running 3.42's and 28" tires?

thanx,sean