454 in gn

413turbo

so i got a 454 and a 400 trans out of a c-30 truck. thinking about putting it in a gn body out back, anyone do this?

Very easy,motor mounts are no problem.Headers are available,I like hookers myself:rolleyes:

Kevin

Why? You can get an LS motor out of a scrap yard cheap that'll bolt up to the 400 and have a lighter front end, better gas mileage, and more power. The 4 barrel intake and spark controler are about $600 from several places and then just stick a holley on it.

Why? You can get an LS motor out of a scrap yard cheap that'll bolt up to the 400 and have a lighter front end, better gas mileage, and more power. The 4 barrel intake and spark controler are about $600 from several places and then just stick a holley on it.

don't listen to this guy.. he's obviously never felt the kick in the gut that even a mild 454 can provide..

and are you sure it's a 454- a lot of those bigger trucks came with a 366 or 427 tall deck big block that looks like a 454 but is a a couple of inches taller. not only do they run out of steam at about 3000 rpm's, but the taller deck height makes it a pain to find headers that fit..

oh it's a real 454, had the whole dually truck and just pulled the motor and trans out. not sure of long term plans, as i'm on the roman noodle budget, but something to toy with for fun. just want a fun car car for track use, no heat or a/c. looks like it should work good, but haven't looked close yet...

Ohhhhh yea I've done this with a 455 olds on a 350trans in a sports coupe regal only thing with the 400 trans you have to change the yolk on drive shaft an shorten it alittle bit then the fuel line comes in on driver side an fuel pump was on pass side an I changed the motor mounts cause the v6 mounts set the engine to high but other then that balls to the wall I use to slap it in first an tap the gas an get. It to jump off the ground couple inches an your right novaderrik its a kick in the gut.

Just get a junkyard LsX like Charlie said... the only reason you need a big block is if you're trying to compensate for something. ;)

They simply make better power for less.

Its not the size of your block its how you use it. besides you just about get parts for a 454 at any corner store an cheep to remember 413turbo is on a pay as u can plan

Check the maliburacing site they have some nice write ups on the swap and how to build nice power with them on a budget/ The swap is real easy.

don't listen to this guy.. he's obviously never felt the kick in the gut that even a mild 454 can provide..

and are you sure it's a 454- a lot of those bigger trucks came with a 366 or 427 tall deck big block that looks like a 454 but is a a couple of inches taller. not only do they run out of steam at about 3000 rpm's, but the taller deck height makes it a pain to find headers that fit..

I've got a 454 in a truck right now and used to race a vette with one it Derrik. The vette is really nose heavy and handles like a pig that's drunk with one. A G body would be even worse and the parts are going to get harder to find for a BBC. The LS engines are still in production and parts are easy to get. Pound for pound it's a better set up since with a cam, an intake, and the spark controler you can get a very reliable 400+ engine.:)

I have a ZZ502 in my 68 Camaro....and my Turbo 3.8 in my GN produces more useable power...
Going off seat of the pants....my GN would take the Camaro off the line and put a couple lengths on it for the first 300 feet and from there they would be about even.

If I had it to do again....I'd go LS in the Camaro.

I'm awesome like that!
20.creation.jpg

88/89 my stock motor with a 75 hit killed it on the street.(new GM 454 crate motor ) waste of $$$$ and TIME to me.. BUT hey its YOUR car to do whatever ya want to do with even if it is to slow it down ! :p