44 Turbo/Ceramic or Ball Bearings

bruisr

I'm in the process of ordering a 44 turbo/0.63 housing. Turbonetics offers a unit with ceramic bearings-which is stated to spool 25% faster. Precision Turbo is in the process of releasing a 44 turbo with dual ball bearings(with a water coolant system from the throttle body coolant lines). They state that their turbo will spool faster than ceramic bearings unit. Both vendors also mention that I will not need to upgrade the convertor. Your suggestions would be appreciated! :confused:(which turbo would spool faster??) :confused:

With everything sealed up tight (no header cracks/crossover leaks) a standard 44 will spool with the stock converter.

With any kind of quick spool boost control, the TE-44 will pull a stock converter just fine. I had a non lock AC 3800 stall converter in there before, and it felt like I lost 100hp after going to the stock TC. But making my own quick spool boost control made it feel as good as before. I came up with something that actually does what some boost controller people say theirs does, but in reality doesnt. Mine bleeds off 100% of wastegate air until the set boost and then it slams shut and seals the system. Everyone says that this is what theirs does but they dont...they are just flow controls that delay filling of the wastegate diaphragm. On paper they look like they pop open instantly and shut instantly, but it doesnt work that way. They are never sealed. Anyway, I added an SMC flow control to the homemade controller, and between the 2 of these, adjusted properly, with the wastgate set tight, the 44 spools FAST. :eek:...and this is even with the cracked header I have. Full boost in about 1 second.

What kind of #s does it lay down?

VadersV6 said:
With any kind of quick spool boost control, the TE-44 will pull a stock converter just fine. I had a non lock AC 3800 stall converter in there before, and it felt like I lost 100hp after going to the stock TC. But making my own quick spool boost control made it feel as good as before. I came up with something that actually does what some boost controller people say theirs does, but in reality doesnt. Mine bleeds off 100% of wastegate air until the set boost and then it slams shut and seals the system. Everyone says that this is what theirs does but they dont...they are just flow controls that delay filling of the wastegate diaphragm. On paper they look like they pop open instantly and shut instantly, but it doesnt work that way. They are never sealed. Anyway, I added an SMC flow control to the homemade controller, and between the 2 of these, adjusted properly, with the wastgate set tight, the 44 spools FAST. :eek:...and this is even with the cracked header I have. Full boost in about 1 second.

OK, I'll bite. Pictures, diagrams, specs,parts list???? Any details? Sounds interesting.
Can't tell you which 44 would spool best but mine spools in about a second with a stock converter. Alot of the spoolup is determined by the tuneup,exhaust seal, wastegate tension and chip programming. I'm always looking for any way to decrease spooling time-no matter how quick it is.

Even with everything optimum, my 44 has never spooled very quickly with the stock TC. This homemade system fixed that. The whole system is a pressure regulator that I tear apart, modify here and there internally and replace the springs with different ones. Then it gets plugged and barbed in a weird way. It becomes basically an on/off switch for the wastegate....its no longer a "bleeder" in any way shape or form. I adjust it on a tester I made. Then I add an SMC flow control and dial in the wastegate arm pretty tight...to where I get about 14psi with it hosed up tuner style. I adjust the regulator to pop closed (which seals the system) at about 14-15 psi or wherever I want the system to rapidly pressurize and open the puck. Then using the flow control, I adjust this to delay pressurizing of the system beyond the 15psi pop closed/system sealed point. It will rapidly bleed off ALL pressure below the set point, say 15psi, then it slams closed and pressurizes the system, and adjusting the flow control will give me my final peak boost number. Ive experimented with alot of different things and Im really happy with how this came out.